Monday, 15 October 2018

Mannion at the double as Henley make cup progress

HOSTS Henley Town AFC progressed to the second round of the E Cambridge Cup on Sunday

HOSTS Henley Town AFC progressed to the second round of the E Cambridge Cup on Sunday after coming out on top in a nine-goal thriller against Division 3 West league leaders Woolhampton CFC.

The visitors started the brighter of the two games and earned an early penalty which was fired wide. Soon after Woolhampton won another spot kick which converted to put the visitors ahead.

The visitors kept on pressing the Henley goal and doubled their lead with a 20-yard strike. Aaron Finch won the ball back in midfield for the hosts and played it to Thomas Chaplin who picked it up and beat a man before playing Finch through who then calmly dinked it over the keeper to reduce the arrears.

Good play between Dan Hayden, George Chaplin and Jack Beales in the midfield led to a move that saw Hayden play the ball over the top of Woolhampton defence to Leon Mannion who took the ball out of the air and rounded the keeper to level the scores.

The visitors retook the lead when a deflection saw the ball find the back of the net as Aaron Brittain was about to clear.Straight from the kick-off the ball was played to Hayden who sprayed it out to the right flank to Chaplin who released Mannion into the box and he beat a couple of defenders before firing home into the bottom corner to make it 3-3 at half-time.

Aaron Stevens made a good save to his right before a quick release from goal eventually led to Chaplin running down the right where he burst into the box and cut back to Essam who drilled the ball into the bottom corner with his left foot from 18 yards to put the hosts ahead for the first time in the game.

An Essam long through ball found Mannion down the wing who beat two defenders for pace and he drilled a cross into the box which man-of-the-match Chaplin smashed into the top left corner of the net first time to put his side 5-3 up.

With time running out the visitors pulled a goal back but Henley held on to secure their place in the next round of the competition.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say