Thursday, 13 December 2018

League leaders ease to comfortable victory

HENLEY TOWN went down to their second successive 5-0 defeat, this time at home to Uhlsport

HENLEY TOWN went down to their second successive 5-0 defeat, this time at home to Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division leaders Thatcham Town at the Triangle Ground last Saturday.

When the sides met in the reverse fixture at Waterside Park on August 20 it was a close encounter with the Kingfishers narrowly winning 2-1 but since then the Red Kites side has been decimated with other clubs putting in seven day approaches for some of their top players and the club have now just four of the players from last season’s successful team that won the Reading Senior Cup at the Madejski Stadium.

Henley started brightly with Chris Hood crossing from the left only for Michael Davies to shoot wide. Thatcham gradually got into the match and if it wasn’t for the agility of the Red Kites goalkeeper Matt Hill the visitors would have been out of sight before Callum Willmoth opened the scoring in the 24th minute when he beat several Henley players to run across the area to score from 20 yards.

Thatcham increased their lead in the 28th minute when Josh Helmore left the Henley defenders standing to make it 2-0. Almost straight from the resulting restart former Henley player Jemel Johnson picked up the ball 35 yards from goal and his mazy run down the left wing beating several defenders gave Hill no chance.

Henley did have an attack in the closing stages of the first half but Chris Nelson’s shot floated over Chris Rackley’s crossbar. Henley’s caretaker manager Jock Mowat brought on Tommy Elmore at the interval for the injured Dan Davies. Eight minutes into the second half Thatcham made 4-0 when Nile O’Meally, who has recently moved to Thatcham Town from Henley, left his former team mates standing to beat the unprotected Hill. The Red Kites did have a brief spell with Callum Carlisle, in an unaccustomed mid field role and Elmore looking to push forward but overall Thatcham keeper Chris Rackley was a spectator.

Thatcham made it 5-0 in the 89th minute when Josh Helmore floated in a free kick from near the touchline on the right wing.

Henley Town: Matt Hill, Chris Byrne, Andrew Nunn, Tom Hogan, Mitch Cooper, Callum Carlisle, Chris Nelson, Dan Davies (Tommy Elmore), Michael Davies, Jack Thomson-Wheeler, Chris Hood (Patrick Gardner). Substitute not used: Brad Hoy.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say