Saturday, 15 December 2018

AFC Henley lose Dukes Trophy to Germans following penalty shootout

AFC HENLEY U13s lost out in the Dukes Trophy on penalties against SC LEICHLINGEN U13s at Henley

AFC HENLEY U13s lost out in the Dukes Trophy on penalties against SC LEICHLINGEN U13s at Henley Town’s Triangle Ground on Friday of last week.

The visitors from Henley’s German twin town Leichlingen were competing for the trophy which has been running since 1984.

From the start it was clear that the sides were evenly matched, with neither side dominating but both making chances.

It was AFC Henley who took the lead through Matt Crook, but SC Leichlingen seized control before the break with two goals.

AFC Henley fought back after the break, with Charlie Strachan-Jarvis equalising before Georg Gudjohnsen-Mitchell burst clear to take the lead. It looked like the winner until the tourists snatched a dramatic late equaliser taking the match to extra time.

Neither team was able to find a winner in extra time, so the match went to penalties, with the visitors just edging the spot kicks and taking the trophy back to Germany.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U10s ran out 5-1 winners away at WHITEGROVE KNIGHTS U10s in the East Berks League on Saturday.

Man-of-the-match Ollie Saunders assisted in two goals and proved to be the driving force in midfield as he powered the Hurricanes forward. The visitors took the lead with the first attack of the game when Saunders sent a through ball to Tom Bonser who finished with aplomb.

Whitegrove hit back as a defensive slip let the Knights back in to the game as the first quarter ended 1-1. The second quarter was a tight affair with midfielder Joe Turner helping free up Saunders to drive forward and it was he again who found the key to unlocking the Knights defence. He spotted the run of Tom Atkinson who battled past two defenders before finishing inside the near post to give the Hurricanes a 2-1 lead at half-time.

There was little between the sides in the third quarter as captain Sam Winters not only marshalled the defence well but also broke forward quickly with the ball when the opportunity presented itself. Ben Horner, in the Hurricanes’ goal, made a crucial save at the end of the quarter sprinting off his line to snub out a Knights counter attack.

It was in the fourth quarter that Henley really dominated and put the game to bed. Tom Bonser won himself a penalty with his quick feet and duly stepped up to take the spot kick and although his initial effort was well saved he was the quickest to react and buried the rebound.

The Hurricanes’ fourth goal came after Atkinson picked up the ball wide on the right and played a cross field pass to Bonser who was on the left of the penalty box. Bonser played a first time ball to Tom Yeoman who took a touch before hitting an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of the goal.

In the dying minutes of the game Finnbar Scott cut in from the left before going on a run and thumping the ball past the keeper.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say