Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Bickerton's brace earns Rotherfield a share of the spoils

Bickerton's brace earns Rotherfield a share of the spoils

A GUY Bickerton goal earned ROTHERFIELD UNITED a share of the spoils in the 2-2 Premier Division draw at HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES.

Highmoor started the game with 10 men and took the lead when two Rotherfield defenders failed to track the run of the home striker who saw his first shot saved by Grant Wildish before tapping in the rebound.

Rotherfield almost equalised when Guy Brown broke down the right and crossed in to brother Scott who saw his shot saved by Highmoor’s stand-in keeper.

The visitors piled on more pressure and equalised when some good interplay between man-of-the-match Scott Brown and Cuthbert led to a low cross from the latter which the Highmoor defender turned into his own net. Further chances fell to Mark Sumner who headed wide from an Ahmet Tuney free kick and Ed and Guy Bickerton both found space in the Highmoor box but neither could convert.

Highmoor regained the lead in the second half when their striker powered in a shot as it fell to him from a corner. The hosts only held on to the lead for a minute as an Ahmet Tuney corner was bundled in by Guy Bickerton. In Division 2 WARGRAVE went down to a heavy 8-1 defeat away to league leaders FINCHAMPSTEAD RESERVES. Stuart Moss scored the visitors’ consolation goal.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED crashed 4-0 at BARKHAM ATHLETIC.

In Division 4 home side GORING UNITED RESERVES secured all three points from their see-saw 3-2 win against WOODLEY UNITED B. Daniel Reynolds put the hosts into the lead on 40 minutes.

In the second half the visitors took the lead with goals in the space of 10 minutes. Substitute Ollie Murray equalised for Goring before Reynolds fired home his second of the match to secure the points.

l ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES made progress in the Berkshire Trophy Centre Intermediate after beating UNITY RESERVES 4-1 at Bishopswood. Two first half goals from Bailey Fullbrook and one from Andrew Hutt put the hosts into a 3-0 lead before Unity pulled a goal back just before half-time. Substitute Brett Griffin made 4-1 in the second half.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say