Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Davis's lob over goalkeeper secures side all three points

Davis's lob over goalkeeper secures side all three points

A SOLID and determined performance at Scours Lane saw WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW deservedly take all three points in their Premier Division clash with HIGHMOOR/IBIS.

After a delayed start with Highmoor having to search for their corner flags, Woodcote were faster out of the blocks and took the lead after eight minutes. A Frank Dillon free kick was charged down and a second cross bobbed around in the area before Jake Dillon headed home from close range.

Highmoor gradually clawed their way into the match and Woodcote were lucky not to concede when a well-placed shot was deflected wide. Mark Pearson also had to be alert to leave his line to save from a good through ball. Woodcote finished the half strongly and hit the bar through a Mike Davis header and skipper Mike Butcher was unlucky with a free kick which was deflected wide.

Highmoor began the second half well and in the first minute Mark Pearson had to be alert to push away a deflected shot. The home team continued to press and were rewarded on 53 minutes when defensive mistakes by Woodcote allowed an equaliser.

Woodcote thought they had taken the lead when a free kick went straight into the net but the goal was ruled out for offside.

The winning goal arrived after 67 minutes; Jake Dillon did well to cut inside to find Mike Davis and the centre-forward lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper and into the empty net for 2-1. The same player almost repeated the feat a couple of minutes later but the ball just cleared the bar.

After that the only real danger came late in the game when, after Mark Pearson had punched clear, the ball came out to the edge of the box and was thumped towards the far post, but Pearson did well to make ground across the goal and get down to block the shot.

Highmoor did appeal strongly for a penalty in the last minute, but it was not given and their centre forward was shown a red card for arguing with the officials after the match.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED crashed to a 3-0 defeat at Bishopswood against title-chasing READING YMCA.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES secured all three points as they defeated visiting promotion-chasing side FINCHAMPSTEAD RESERVES.

The hosts established an early two-goal lead but this was pegged back to 2-2 before a further three goals put the home side in the driving seat. Finchampstead’s third was merely a consolation. On target for Woodcote were James Elderton, Mike Higley, Adam Wheeler, Jay Pittaway and an own goal.

Elsewhere in the division league leaders WHITE EAGLES thrashed visitors WARGRAVE 6-0.

In Division 4 GORING UNITED RESERVES leapfrogged THE HOP LEAF after defeating the visitors 5-0. Matthew Ploszynski put the hosts ahead in the first minute as the hosts never looked back with Alex Fletcher adding a second on 25 minutes. In the second half Ryan Harrhy put the hosts 3-0 on the hour mark with Ploszynski adding his second 10 miniutes later and Richard Skidmore wrapping up the rout on 80 minutes.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say