Friday, 26 April 2019

Massie shines as Hotspurs are held

Massie shines as Hotspurs are held

HOME side AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U12s had to settle for a draw in their East Berks League encounter with EVERSLEY AND CALIFORNIA SAINTS U12s at a windy Jubilee Park last Saturday.

Eversley started strongly and had the first opportunity to score with a shot hitting the post, with Henley goalkeeper Ben Palmer diving to catch the rebound before the visiting striker could score.

Henley took the lead wen a Taro Finch corner caused a goalmouth scramble with the ball eventually going in off a Saints defender for an own goal.

The Hotspurs had the most of the possession in the rest of the first half with Max Cranstoun coming close a couple of times with shots forcing good saves from the visiting keeper while Jake Williams latched onto a well timed through ball from Freddie Formon only for the strong wind to carry his shot just past the post.

In the second half Henley were now playing into wind as Eversley pushed forward on the attack but they were unable to breach the solid defence of Henley defenders Harry Wildgoose and Freddie Piasecki.

The visitors equalised from a Henley goal kick which was intercepted by a Saints forward who slotted the ball home.

Henley responded with man-of-the-match Stanley Massie dominating the midfield, dribbling the ball past two of the visitors players before slotting through to Dexter Harris whose shot forced a good save from the visiting keeper.

The increased Henley pressure eventually paid off with Hotspurs retaking the lead from a Taro Finch free kick played through to Tom Francis on the left wing who used his pace to beat the Eversley defender to the ball before clinically volleying low past the keeper to score with the ball going in off the right-hand upright.

In the last 10 minutes of the game Eversley began to push for the equaliser which eventually came from a corner which reached their striker who scored with a powerful volley. Despite both teams having further chances the score remained 2-2 at the final whistle.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say