Sunday, 21 April 2019

Green’s header wins day for Woodcote/Stoke Row

Green’s header wins day for Woodcote/Stoke Row

HOME side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW retained their second position in the Premier Division with a hard-fought win over WRAYSBURY last Saturday.

The game lacked rhythm due to constant interruptions by the visitors contesting decisions by the officials.

Woodcote dominated from start to finish, but chances were at a premium and the only goal came on 30 minutes when Sam Green headed into an empty net after the Wraysbury goalkeeper failed to hang on to a deep cross from Jake Tucker.

In the second-half Woodcote came close on a couple of occasions in goalmouth scrambles, but each time a defender’s boot cleared the danger.

Ten minutes from the end of the game Wraysbury could have equalised after their striker missed an open goal.

GORING UNITED remain in the relegation zone in Division 2 after going down to a 4-1 home defeat against MARLOW UNITED RESERVES. Benjamin Fuller scored the hosts only goal of the game.

Elsewhere in the division WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES recorded a narrow 2-1 win at home to CORINTHIANS in a match played at the Oratory School as the hosts have now played all their away league matches. Goals for Woodcote were scored by Alex Ray and Justin Trow.

In Division 3 HAMBLEDEN ran out 2-0 winners at home against basement side PANGBOURNE in a match that was switched to the Dene after the visitors’ pitch was waterlogged.

Hambleden were in control in the first half with numerous opportunities falling to the home side’s front line. After good work on the left Rodrigues cut back to Logan, who dragged the ball wide from eight yards.

Ellis then missed two good chances, putting a one-on-one with the keeper over the bar while the keeper saved another one-on-one situation.

The second half continued in the same fashion with Hambleden attacking. On 67 minutes a double substitution from Hambleden offered a change of play with target man Butler coming on and winger Clarke settling straight in on the right.

Five minutes later Hambleden took the lead with a tidy finish from Ellis from six yards out. Pangbourne kicked off and hit the bar soon after from 30 yards.

With time running out Pangbourne pushed players up field for a free kick deep into injury time but when the move broke down, Rodrigues burst through for Hambleden, running from his own half and finishing from 10 yards out to wrap up the scoring.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say