Sunday, 24 March 2019

Danelian nets first treble for free-scoring Wargrave

Danelian nets first treble for free-scoring Wargrave

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW saw off a youthful READING CITY U23s side 5-1 in their Premier Division clash last Saturday.

The home side played some good football but had little success in breaking-down a solid Woodcote/Stoke Row defence.

Reading City were presented with the first chance of the match when a stray back-pass eluded stand-in keeper, Darren Russell, and narrowly missed the target.

In the 16th minute, Woodcote’s superiority was demonstrated as they took the lead from a good free-kick from Frank Dillon. This lead was doubled after 33 minutes when Ryan Corbett got the final touch to Sam Tucker’s corner. The lead might have been doubled to four before half-time, but for two fine saves from the home keeper.

Early in the second half a good save from Russell kept the clean-sheet intact and Woodcote increased their lead on the hour mark through a fine low shot from Ben Rusher which gave the keeper no chance. Five minutes later, it was 4-0 as Corbett got his second of the afternoon from close-range after the home keeper had dropped Dillon’s corner.

On 75 minutes new-signing Jermaine Gumbs completed Woodcote’s tally with a well taken goal. Reading’s consolation goal came in the dying minutes of the game.

In Division 2 WARGRAVE maintained their promotion push as they ran out 13-0 winners at home to AFC CORINTHIANS.

The home side dominated the match against a Corinthians team who only fielded 10 players.

Wargrave took an early lead and continued scoring regularly throughout the game with Joseph Danelian netting his first hat-trick for the club. Sam Wild, Joe Wigmore and Stuart Moss all netted two goals each while Tom Bray and Callum Hunter also got their names on the score sheet. Goalkeeper Ben Carter played up front for the final 15 minutes of the match and helped himself to two goals to wrap up the scoring.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES almost caused an upset against top of the table MORTIMER RESERVES.

Leading 2-0 with goals from Scott Gesner and Josh Millar, the visitors had good chances to add to their lead, not least when the referee awarded them a penalty and then changed his mind, before dismissing the Mortimer defender for the tackle. Ten-man Mortimer then pulled a goal back.

In the second-half Woodcote continued to dominate, but the dismissal of Millar for his second yellow card gave Mortimer hope, which was rewarded with an equaliser for a final score of 2-2.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED went down to a narrow 1-0 defeat at MARLOW UNITED RESERVES.

HENLEY TOWN moved up to second place in Division 3 after beating lowly MAIDENHEAD TOWN A 4-1 at the Triangle Ground.

The home side started the game well and went in front after 10 minutes Nick Holzer capitalised on a defensive mistake to give Henley the lead. Maidenhead Town hit back shortly after to make it 1-1.

Just before the break Henley took the lead once again when Dan Chalfont scored following a good solo run. Henley went 3-1 up in the second half when a Jack Patterson through ball found Holzer who took the ball around the goalkeeper to tap home. Henley wrapped up the game when a Patterson ball across goal found Holzer to fire home and complete his hat-trick.

HAMBLEDEN goalkeeper Mark Butler pulled off a string of good saves to help his side gain a point from their 3-3 draw at TAPLOW UNITED A.

Hambleden started the match on the front foot with the home keeper pulling off several good saves to deny the visitors. Against the run of play Taplow took the lead from a back post header following a corner.

Hambleden continued pressing and were finally rewarded on the half hour mark when Ben Rickshaw headed home at the far post.

Seven minutes later it was 2-1 to Hambleden when a Jimi Austin 30 yard free kick rattled the bar and went in. On 40 minutes Nick Ellis scored when his 20 yard shot went in after hitting the bar and the back of the Taplow goalkeeper. Just before half-time Taplow made it 3-2 following a goalmouth scramble.

The visitors started the second half strong forcing two further good saves from the Taplow keeper.

The match turned in Taplow’s favour on the hour mark when a cross was blown into the top corner by the strong wind. This pushed the home side on in search of the winner but Butler pulled off a string of good saves to ensure the match ended all square.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say