Sunday, 21 April 2019

New striker scores four as ruthless Bees sting Eagles

New striker scores four as ruthless Bees sting Eagles

THE Premier Division clash between title-chasing WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW and BURGHFIELD on Saturday had to be postponed due to the pitch being unplayable.

The decision was taken by Burghfield Parish Council, which owns the pitch, and they informed their would-be visitors on Friday afternoon.

It means that Woodcote remain second in the division on 41 points, 10 points behind leaders Cookham Dean, but with two games in hand while Burghfield drop a place to ninth with 20 points on the board.

In Division 1, Jack Woodley scored four as ROTHERFIELD UNITED hit WHITE EAGLES for six.

United hit the post twice before skipper Ryan Richardson opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a powerful header.

Five minutes later Woodley doubled the lead when he latched onto a Tom Bean through-ball to smash home his first goal.

Strike partner Chris Read then fed Woodley for his second and the Bees’ new signing broke free to complete his hat-trick just before the break, thanks to another assist from Bean.

White Eagles came close at the end of the first half but a shot against the outside of the post was the nearest they came to troubling Grant Wildish in the Rotherfield goal.

The home side did tighten up defensively in the second period but a calamitous moment saw their goalkeeper swipe a back pass into his own net and Woodley capped an impressive performance with his fourth goal, when he raced on to a flick from the impressive Read, and was substituted with 10 minutes remaining.

The result moves Rotherfield away from the bottom three, now sitting in seventh place on 20 points, while White Eagles stay rooted to the bottom with just two points.

In Division 2, WARGRAVE came out on top of their local derby with GORING UNITED with a 3-1 win.

The hosts took the lead when Graham Bettes squared for Sam Wild to tap in from close range.

Wild then did the same for Stuart Moss to score from close range just before half time.

After the break, Goring started well and they soon pulled a goal back but Wargrave continued to create chances but failed to make them count.

Wild helped to put the result beyond doubt when he won a penalty, which was dispatched by Dan Patterson to secure the win.


Once Justin Trow gave his side an early lead, there was only going to be one winner but, in truth, the result could have been even more comfortable were it not for the performance of the Marlow goalkeeper, who made more than five top saves.

The hosts added to their lead on 18 minutes through Luke Murrie and the half-time score was 3-0 when Sam Tucker neatly converted from Andy Taylor’s cross.

Eight minutes into the second-half Trow picked up his second of the game and was soon robbed of a hat-trick by a superb save.

Goal number five came in the 75th minute when Marlow failed to clear a corner and Nathan Williams’ effort was turned in by a defender.

A minute later, Ben Rusher scored the goal of the game with a shot from distance which gave the keeper no chance. In the dying minutes the scoring was completed by Jamie Newport.

The result maintains Woodcote’s position in third place on 29 points but they have played three more games than Hurst Reserves and Richings Park Reseves in fourth and fifth, who are on 22 and 21 points, respectively.

In Division 3, HENLEY secured a vital three points with a 3-1 win at home to league leaders WOODLEY UNITED A.

But it was the visitors who started the game on the front foot and went a goal up when they capitalised on a Henley mistake.

This forced the hosts into action and shortly afterwards, Woodley failed to clear the ball from the defence and Nick Holzer pounced on the loose ball and smashed it past the keeper.

Henley then took the lead just before the break when a powerful shot from Rowan Stacey made it to the top-left corner.

After the restart, there were few chances created by either side. But a Holzer corner found Alex Harris White at the back post to put the game out of Woodley’s reach.

The result keeps Henley in second, now just three points behind Woodley and with two games in hand over their rivals.

Elsewhere, HAMBLEDEN have moved up to third after they defeated MAIDENHEAD TOWN A 4-3 in a thrilling game.

They are now just three points behind Henley, with both teams having played 15 games each.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say