Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Lea bags five goals in man-of-match display

HOSTS AFC HENLEY HAWKS U12s ran out comfortable 6-0 winners in their East Berks League clash with WINNERSH RANGERS AVENGERS U12s at Jubilee Park last Saturday.

The Hawks started well and within minutes had secured a corner kick taken by Jenson Lea. Centre back Mikey Dowling came up for the corner and took a shot that was blocked.

A few minutes later play had moved to the opposite end and keeper Max Messias was forced to make a save. His ensuing goal kick started a Henley break that culminated in a shot by striker Jamie Halliwell which hit the crossbar. Another Henley break followed orchestrated by Lucas Wilson, Halliwell and George Acock but it was ruled offside.

Henley took the lead when a goal kick from Messias found Halliwell who passed to Lea who touched it through to Leo Schlaefli and ran on. Schlaefli found Conor Quinn who passed on to Lea who found the back of the net after 24 minutes.

Schlaefli and Wilson were working hard on the left of the pitch, driving the attack up the wing. The Avengers were forced to put the ball out for a Lea throw in to Schlaefli. Schlaefli battled to the box and passed back to Lea who put the ball away to the right of the keeper making it 2-0 to the Hawks after 27 minutes.

The Hawks came out strong in the second half with a corner secured for Harry Graham in the second minute.

Half way through the second half Quinn had a punt on goal and it went just left of the post. Minutes later, Lea won the ball from an Avengers defender and sidestepped around him and took a shot from the left across goal and past the keeper to make it 3-0 and complete his hat-trick.

After 50 minutes Acock was on the break on the right where he sent a ball into the box but it was cleared by the defence and Lea picked it up, putting a clever shot in to the left of the net making it 4-0.

The Winnersh attack struggled to penetrate the Hawks defence and second half keeper Ben Hemmings was not troubled too many times but dealt masterfully with some long shots that came his way.

Good build up play continued for the Hawks with Graham shining at centre midfield where he was instrumental in the next goal sending though a ball to man-of-the-match Lea who slotted away his fifth to make it 5-0 after 55 minutes.

Three minutes later another Graham corner resulted in a goal as he curled it in directly from the flag bringing the final score to an accomplished 6-0 win for the Hawks.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say