Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Hurricanes blow unbeaten Marlow Tigers record away

Hurricanes blow unbeaten Marlow Tigers record away

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U12s ran out 3-0 winners away at MARLOW TIGERS U12s on Saturday in their East Berks Division 1 game that resulted in them consolidating their top four position in the table.

On a sunny morning the Hurricanes were fearful of a mauling from the unbeaten Tigers who had won all eight of their Division 1 games having been promoted at Christmas.

However, their fears proved to be unfounded as the Hurricanes gave their best performance of the season and sent the Tigers packing.

The match started well for the visitors even though they were kicking up hill and into the bright sunlight. Tom Bonser started the game on the right wing and an early sortie down that side brought a good tackle from the Marlow defence that resulted in a corner and an early chance for the Hurricanes that eventually was cleared.

A run through the middle by Tom Yeoman brought a good save from the Marlow keeper but Sam Robinson was on hand to neatly tuck away the rebound and put the visitors 1-0 up.

In the second half Tom Atkinson threaded an inch perfect ball through for striker Yeoman who left the keeper with no chance as he thrashed the ball home from eight yards to make it 2-0.

It was credit to the Hurricanes defence that keeper Oliver Saunders only had long range shots and set pieces to deal with but he did this with the minimum of fuss and his handling was excellent throughout the whole game.

Making his league debut for the Hurricanes Harvey Herber latched onto another Atkinson through ball drawing a good save from the keeper only for Yeoman to pick up the loose threads and make it 3-0.

AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U12s met WINDSOR YOUTH MERLINS CONCORDE U12s for the second time in two weeks in a closely fought game at Jubilee Park. The match ended in a 2-2 draw, the Hotspurs seventh stalemate of the session.

The Hotspurs started strongly and within minutes had the ball in the back of the Windsor net when Tom Francis, on the left wing, put in a penetrating cross which found George Khairallah unmarked who cleanly volleyed the ball past the keeper only for the goal to be disallowed as off-side.

Henley continued to press with Will O’Hagan on the right wing causing the visitors’ defence problems and combining well with strikers Jake Williams and Dexter Harris.

However, against the run of play it was Windsor who took the lead when a long clearance from the keeper found their striker in space whose shot from close range gave the Henley keeper no chance.

Windsor followed up with a period of attacking play but were unable to breach the Henley defence of Harry Wildgoose and Lucas Hendley.

A well-worked move from Windsor saw their striker one-on-one with Henley keeper Max Cranstoun who pulled off an impressive save with his feet.

In the second half, Hotspurs came out attacking and they equalised when Stanley Massie won the ball in midfield and made an accurate long-range pass to Taro Finch on the right wing, whose through ball found Charlie Hunt who fired home past the goalkeeper.

Hunt soon had a second goal when a long clearance from Freddie Piasecki found him in the visitors’ half, a quick turn of pace saw him past the defender and he finished with a powerful shot.

As the game drew to a close Henley thought they had the match won when the ball ended up in the back of the Windsor net again, only for the goal to be disallowed for off-side.

From the subsequent free kick, Windsor were able to get past the Henley defence and equalise, bringing the score to 2-2.

With minutes remaining, Henley frantically tried to find the winner but in the end had to settle for a draw in a match that saw Francis and Hunt both named man-of-the-match.

Second placed AFC HENLEY HAWKS U12s drew their final Division 7 match of the season 1-1 at league champions PINEWOOD PANTHERS U12s.

Henley started brightly with the attackers hungry for possession and George Acock intercepting a Predators’ goal kick after a couple of minutes and he took a shot that went just wide. Soon after Jenson Lea intercepted another goal kick and passed through to Acock but this time his shot was blocked by the Predators’ defence.

After 15 minutes, against the run of play, the Predators had a break and managed to touch the ball into the Henley net to lead 1-0.

Early in the second half Acock took a shot from the left across goal but the keeper managed to save it. Following a throw in, Acock was determined to net and took a volley at goal, but it was saved again.

Minutes later there was an onslaught on the Predators’ goal by Henley and Conor Quinn found the ball and dinked it above the keeper who got his fingers on it, but Quinn had done enough and the ball tipped over into the goal to level the scores.

The Predators got back in the match and gave second half keeper Ben Hemmings a hard time but he stepped up to the challenge and at 50 minutes pulled off a good fingertip save going top left, pushing it just wide of goal.

Seconds later on the break, Acock crossed to Quinn but he couldn’t quite connect to put it home this time. Lillie-Maye Clark was strong on the attack working well with some well placed passes and key interceptions.

At 54 minutes, Henley looked set to take the lead after a corner from Lea found Graham on the edge of the box who sent in a blistering shot but it was blocked.

The final five minutes were end to end with both sides trying to find a winning goal but eventually time ran out as the honours were shared.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say