Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Givens's impressive strike wraps up scoring for hosts

Givens's impressive strike wraps up scoring for hosts

HOSTS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW secured all three Premier Division points as they beat TAPLOW UNITED 4-2.

Woodcote started confidently enough, but when the early attacks fizzled out, it was Taplow who drew first blood after seven minutes, when defensive hesitance let in a forward who managed to score from a narrow angle.

The home team then squandered a couple of good chances through Jake and Frank Dillon and after 20 minutes Taplow had a good chance to make it 2-0 but the forward shot wide when it seemed easier to score.

Nerves were settled a minute later when Jake Dillon found Jonny Summers who wrong-footed his marker and the keeper before sliding the ball into the empty net for 1-1.

On 23 minutes it was 2-1 to Woodcote when the Taplow keeper made a hash of a Jake Dillon shot from a narrow angle and the ball finished in the net.

Woodcote were now completely dominant and on the half-hour mark Frank Dillon cut in from the left and scored from 10 yards.

The home side should have had a fourth before the break, but the keeper did well to save in a one-on-one with Jake Dillon. At the end of the half Taplow had a good chance, but Kane Roberts made a good save.

Taplow reduced the arrears before the hour mark when a cross from the left was allowed to drift across the area, with no challenge from the defence, and was converted at the far post.

As the half progressed so more and more chances came and went for the home team. Jake Dillon was thwarted on a couple of occasions by good goalkeeping, substitute Tommy Chapman had two chances which he failed to convert while both Jonny Summers and Frank Dillon went close on more than one occasion.

With 10 minutes remaining, Dave Givens was brought off the bench. With two minutes remaining a corner from Frank Dillon was cleared to the edge of the box and Givens pounced to score with a thunderbolt shot.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHERFIELD UNITED struggled to find any fluency with the ball in a tight encounter as they earned a point by drawing 0-0 at BERKS COUNTY.

The hosts came closest to breaking the deadlock as they hit the woodwork twice and had three efforts cleared off the line.

Rotherfield improved in the second half with Ricky Sidhu moving up front while centre backs Ryan Richardson and Guy Bickerton impressed as the visitors kept a clean sheet.

In Division 2 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES came from behind to secure a 3-2 win in their first ever visit to MAIDENHEAD MAGPIES RESERVES. On target for Woodcote were Adam Wheeler, Ryan Brown and James Elderton.

GORING UNITED went down to a 4-2 defeat at BURGHFIELD. George O’Brien and Adam Williams were the scorers for the visitors.

Elsewhere in the division a weakened WARGRAVE side crashed to a 5-1 defeat at home to league leaders WESTWOOD UNITED RESERVES.

The hosts competed well for the first half despite shipping in three goals. In the second half Wargrave attacked more but it was the visitors who increased their lead. Wargrave scored a consolation goal when Jack Morris netted his first for the club before the visitors wrapped up the scoring just before full time.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES remain rooted to the foot of the Division 3 table after going down to a 5-1 defeat against BERKS COUNTY RESERVES at Bishopswood.

Daniel Priest netted the hosts’ only goal of the game in a match that saw both sides have a player sent off.

Two goals from Daniel Reynolds helped GORING UNITED RESERVES record their first Division 4 win of the season as the hosts defeated BERKS COUNTY ROVERS 4-1. Thomas Heslop and Matthew Norman were the other scorers for the hosts.

Elsewhere in the division WARGRAVE RESERVES went down 3-1 at WOODLEY UNITED B. Oscar Woodbridge scored for Wargrave in a tight game that was 1-1 with 10 minutes to go before Woodley netted two late goals to secure the points.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say