Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Barklem's hat-trick helps Henley Town make cup progress

EMMER GREEN progressed to the quarter-finals of the Tilehurst Charity Cup thanks to a 4-2 extra time victory at home to GHANA STARS on Sunday.

After a goalless first half the hosts found themselves a goal down against a persistent Ghana side early on in the second half.

Johnny Adey grabbed an equaliser after he was fouled by the Ghana goalkeeper in the penalty area. Adey got up and scored himself from the penalty spot.

Ghana took the lead again soon after and with time ticking for Emmer Green they upped the pressure and battled hard with Luke Donegan, Craig Eastwood and Richard Eastwood all going close.

Emmer Green looked to be running out of time but were handed a lifeline when Luke Donegan was
brought down in the box for a penalty. Adey stepped up for the spot kick and didn’t disappoint hitting the bottom right hand corner to take the cup tie into extra time.

The hosts looked the better team in the first half of extra time and took the lead when Josh Beisly scored from distance and at a tight angle to put Emmer Green in front for the first time in the game. Adey sealed the win and got his first hat-trick for Green in the second half with a lob over the keeper from distance.

Emmer Green will now face Dee Road Rangers in the quarter-finals next month.

In the Industrial Cup, Division 1 SC UNITED crashed out of this season’s competition as they lost 3-1 at home to Division 2 promotion chasers LOXWOOD PARK RANGERS.

HENLEY TOWN AFC progressed to the next round of the E Cambridge Cup after coming out on top 5-4 at TILEHURST CLUB A.

The hosts took the lead when a Tilehurst striker broke free and his shot was saved by Arron Stevens before another home
player fired home the rebound.

Henley equalised when Leon Mannion broke through and his strike was saved by the keeper but Hugh Barklem netted from the rebound.

The visitors took the lead when Arran Finch netted from a free kick from wide right which the keeper got a hand to but could only push the ball into the net.

Henley went 3-1 up when from a Thomas Chaplin corner the ball was flicked on at the front post by Tom Carpenter for Barklem to bundle home.

Barklem completed his hat-trick soon after when he finished a good move from Chaplin.

The hosts netted twice to bring the score back to 4-3. Soon after Finch put in a cross into the six-yard box which was met by Dan Hayden to make it 5-3. With time running out a Tilehurst player broke free and lobbed Stevens to completed the scoring.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say