Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Henley Town maintain unbeaten record

HENLEY YMCA’s lead at the top of the Premier Division was cut to two points after they crashed to a

HENLEY YMCA’s lead at the top of the Premier Division was cut to two points after they crashed to a 2-1 defeat away to fellow promotion rivals THE TYRE BAY.

The hosts took the lead in the second half when a driven shot found its way through a crowded box and into the Henley goal.

Soon after a strike was deflected out of the reach of the helpless YM keeper Matthew Shanahan as the visitors made it 2-0.

Four minutes from time Chris Williams reduced the lead after Simon Chandler crossed the ball into the box to fire home from 12 yards.

HENLEY TOWN consolidated their position at the top of the Division 1 East table with a 2-0 win away to EARLEY UNITED.

Howard Olley gave the Lilywhites the lead after 20 minutes, converting a corner via the underside of the bar. The visitors doubled their advantage on 65 minutes through a Paul Nobes shot that a defender’s header could only help into the net.

YMCA UNITED’S first match of the year saw them crash to a 3-2 defeat at home to 116 EXILES at Lawson Road in a close-fought encounter.

The hosts took the lead after Sam Taylor played a through ball down the wing for Aaron Brittain who crossed for Ricki Keeley to head home.

The second half began with Exiles exerting more pressure on the United goal and it soon told when their forwards combined to place the ball in the bottom corner of YMCA’s net.

As the lack of match action over the past two months began to tell, Exiles took the lead with a deflected shot that wrong-footed the YMCA keeper.

YMCA hit back and equalised soon after when substitute Jack Taylor produced a cross that was deflected past the Exiles keeper.

The Exiles came back strongly with YMCA indebted to some good saves from backup keeper Aymer Wilson who kept them in the game.

As the game entered the final minutes United failed to deal with a ball into the box as an Exiles striker popped up to score the decisive goal.

GORING UNITED moved up to second spot in Division 1 West following their 5-2 home victory over VICTORIA ARMS.

United raced into a two-goal lead inside 10 minutes thanks to two close-range finishes from Simon Browne. The goal of the game came on the half hour mark when Tom Purser unleashed a shot from 30 yards which curled around the keeper into the top corner. The visitors pulled a goal back just before half-time.

Goring scored two more goals in the second half, again two far post finishes from Jon Nicholas, both from close range. Victoria Arms pulled a goal back late on.

A Dave Barrett penalty and Brad Hayden goal were enough to secure all three points for KIDMORE END RESERVES in Division 2 West as they defeated BURGHFIELD 2-0 at Gallowstree Common.

In Division 3 East MAPLEDURHAM CAVALIERS went down to a 3-2 defeat away to FC WOODLEY.

Stuart Owen and Peter Buckley were both on target for the Cavaliers. GORING UNITED RESERVES’ Division 3 West promotion hopes took a knock after they crashed 4-1 at PARK VILLA.

Park Villa scored three goals inside the first half-hour as they dominated the first 45 minutes.

Goring upped their game in the second half but it was Park Villa who scored next against the run of play. The visitors scored a goal late on through a header from Mark Sachse.

In Division 4 East SC UNITED RESERVES were held to a 1-1 draw at Bishopswood against WOODFORD PARK.

Lukonde Kasonde put the hosts ahead after 10 minutes following a through ball from Bruce Clark. United’s lead only lasted five minutes as the visitors equalised five minutes later.

Elsewhere, bottom-of-the-table AFC HENLEY crashed to a 7-1 defeat away to league leaders BURGHFIELD RESERVES. Joe Ball was the scorer for Henley.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say