Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Woodley hammered by league leaders

HENLEY YMCA maintained their five-point cushion at the top of the Premier Division after beating WOODLEY HAMMERS 4-0 at Lawson

HENLEY YMCA maintained their five-point cushion at the top of the Premier Division after beating WOODLEY HAMMERS 4-0 at Lawson Road.

Stuart Brown had a penalty saved for the hosts after he was fouled in the box 10 minutes into the game. At the other end of the pitch Matthew Shanahan pulled off a good save from a header a few minutes later, tipping it over the bar. YMCA took the lead after 27 minutes when Brown whipped in a cross that deceived everyone before nestling in the far corner of the net. The hosts increased their lead straight after half-time when a corner was headed clear and fell to Ben Farmar who volleyed home from the edge of the area.

Mitch Cooper scored his first for the club in the 65th minute after a scramble in the box from another corner. Brown sealed the win in the 84th minute when he chipped the ball over the diving keeper from six yards out following an Arran Finch cross.

KIDMORE END let a 2-0 lead slip as they went down 4-3 to EMMER GREEN at Gallowstree Common.

Kidmore took the lead after 30 minutes with Paul Butler finishing from close range. Butler doubled his side’s lead after 55 minutes. Emmer Green responded immediately with John Donagan scoring after the restart from 20 yards.

Kidmore went 3-1 up on 60 minutes when Kieren Chard’s volley took a deflection on its way into the Emmer Green net.

Emmer Green responded with a through ball from Ciaran Crean to see Richie Froude slot the ball home. Froude then returned the favour and picked out Crean at the near post to head home the equaliser soon after.

In the 89th minute Daniel Donegan swung in a corner that was headed home by Crean to secure all three points for the visitors.

HENLEY TOWN remain undefeated in Division 1 East after they were held to a goalless draw at home to ELDON CELTIC.

The absence of Henley’s two leading goalscorers, Paul Nobes and Sam Bell junior, proved costly, and neither team looked likely to score.

GORING UNITED moved up to second place in Division 1 West thanks to a 2-1 victory away at FOX AND HOUNDS RESERVES.

Goring took the lead after 12 minutes when a shot from Simon Browne was parried by the home keeper to George Whitby who tapped the ball home. United increased their lead a minute before the interval when a push on John Day saw the visitors awarded a penalty which was duly scored by Sam Green.

The hosts rallied in the second half and pulled a goal back but Goring held on to secure all three points.

SC UNITED increased their lead at the top of Division 3 East to eight points thanks to a 5-0 win away at REAL READING.

The visitors took the lead in the first minute when central midfielder Danny Jakubiszyn headed in a right wing cross from Aaron Attfield.

Five minutes into the second half Robbie Jack made a run into the box and crossed for Martin Best to score from close range. Paul Read made it 3-0 on the hour mark when he collected a cut back from left winger Johnny Cartwright, finishing in the right-hand corner from inside the penalty area.

With 20 minutes remaining Jakubiszyn added his second and United’s fourth as he headed home a Best corner.

On 80 minutes Aaron Attfield picked up a loose ball on the halfway line and took a couple of touches before unleashing a 35-yard shot that cannoned off the post rebounding in off the back of the Real Reading keeper’s head to complete the rout.

Promotion chasing GORING UNITED RESERVES slipped to a 4-2 defeat away to Division 3 West mid-table side 116 EXILES RESERVES. Goring conceded a goal in the first minute before finding themselves 3-0 down after half an hour.

The visitors won a penalty 10 minutes into the second half for hand ball which was converted by Luke Butler. Goring scored again after 70 minutes when Mark Sachse got on the end of a goalmouth scramble. With Goring pushing for an equaliser the home side netted again five minutes from time.

Division 4 East basement side SC UNITED RESERVES narrowly lost out 4-3 at home to WOODLEY SAINTS. The visitors raced into a 2-0 lead before John MacDonald pulled a goal back for the hosts. Woodley netted again before MacDonald reduced the arrears once more with his second of the match. The Saints made it 4-2 before Liam Oliver pulled a goal back for the hosts direct from a corner.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say