Sunday, 21 October 2018

Sumner’s goal enough to lift side out of drop zone

ROTHERFIELD UNITED climbed out of the Senior Division relegation zone thanks to a 1-1 draw away to SANDHURST DEVELS.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED climbed out of the Senior Division relegation zone thanks to a 1-1 draw away to SANDHURST DEVELS.

The visitors started the first half brightly and dominated possession but it was the hosts who took the lead on the half-hour mark.

The second half proved to be an end-to-end affair with United equalising on the hour mark when Mark Sumner played a one-two with Ben Keable on the edge of the box before firing home past the goalkeeper into the far corner.

United had several chances to win the game but Keable was unable to find a way around the in-form home keeper.

In the Premier Division GORING UNITED crashed to a 3-0 defeat away to AFC CORINTHIANS.

SONNING moved seven points clear at the top in Division 1 thanks to a 3-2 home win against BERKSHIRE UNITED.

Peter Mills, Simon Delaney and Dean Condon were on target for the Pound Lane side who were reduced to 10 men after 80 minutes when goalscorer Delaney was dismissed for picking up two yellow cards.

Basement side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES went down to a 2-0 defeat away to HIGHMOOR/IBIS A.

WARGRAVE suffered a 3-2 defeat away to fellow relegation strugglers MORTIMER RESERVES in a game that saw three players red-carded. Thomas Bray and Daniel Patterson were on target for the visitors who had Tom Brymer and Aaron Williams sent off.

The hosts also had a player sent off before they secured all three points with their winning goal coming in the fourth minute of injury time.

GORING UNITED RESERVES crashed out of the Berkshire Trophy Intermediate Cup at the quarter-final stage after going down 6-4 after extra time away to TAPLOW UNITED RESERVES.

Tristan Allen netted twice while Jonathan Williams and an own goal completed the scoring for the visitors.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES lost out to ELDON CELTIC in the quarter-finals of the Berkshire Trophy Junior Cup at Bishopswood.

The visitors took the lead after 10 minutes through a wayward shot that somehow found a Celtic player at the back post to head home.

Eldon Celtic scored again just after the break when a long throw in was allowed to bounce and their midfielder calmly clipped it over the outstretched Andrew Deburton in the Rotherfield goal.

United pulled a goal back after 70 minutes when Paul Langham slid the ball through to Dan Szutenburg who ran into the box before scoring from a tight angle.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say