Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Second-half strike proves decisive

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U14s went down to a home defeat against ASHRIDGE PARK U14s in Division 5 of the East

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U14s went down to a home defeat against ASHRIDGE PARK U14s in Division 5 of the East Berks League last Saturday.

In wet and muddy conditions Henley could not break down a well-organised Ashridge defence and succumbed to two first half goals.

The first Ashridge goal was well worked with a short cross converted from close range. The second on the stroke of half-time was the result of a defensive mix-up after the ball stuck in some mud.

Man-of-the-match Kier Kames epitomised a well organised Henley defence with a fine display at left back. Sam Newbury and Jason Hopes also defended well with Storm Devoy-Reed in goal dealing well with the difficult conditions.

Spencer Smith, Jamie Olive and Jack Patterson worked some good midfield passes but could not find a way to goal.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U11s made it four wins from their last five games in all competitions as they ran out 3-2 winners at ASHRIDGE PARK U11s in Division 1 of the East Berks League.

On a difficult waterlogged surface the Hurricanes managed to play quick flowing football and after 17 minutes Oliver Andrews pounced on a rebounded shot to hammer home.

Andrews made it 2-0 four minutes later ghosting past the last defender and firing past the keeper.

In the second half the Hurricanes eased off their high tempo as Ashridge got themselves back into the game firstly on 41 minutes with a quick break from a Henley corner then on 43 minutes capitalising on a defensive mix-up to make it 2-2.

With the momentum with Ashridge the Hurricanes responded well and grabbed a winner on 48 minutes when man-of-the-match Ethan Pearce followed up a shot to tap home.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U9s dropped their first East Berks League points of the campaign on Saturday away to CALIFORNIA STORM U9s.

The hosts opened the scoring after five minutes, the centre back running on to a cleared corner to fire the ball past Clark in goal.

Good work down the left from Ruffell and Weller led to the equaliser. Weller’s cross met neatly at the back post by Smith.

California countered again, this time pouncing on a defensive error to retake the lead. Henley restored parity, Smith producing a carbon copy of his first goal, again from a Weller delivery.

The second half was evenly contested with both sides coming close. Strachan-Jarvis caused havoc on the right while Robinson probed on the left and Kernick and Flower almost carved open the home side’s defence on several occasions.

But California secured the points at the death after some sustained pressure, with a well-placed strike to which Hurricanes had no response.

Despite the defeat Henley retain top spot in Division C and look on course to become league champions.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say