Sunday, 21 October 2018

Read comes off bench to net brace and help United maintain title push

HENLEY YMCA’S Premier Division title aspirations took a further knock as they went down 1-0 at home to SOUTHBANK.

HENLEY YMCA’S Premier Division title aspirations took a further knock as they went down 1-0 at home to SOUTHBANK.

Henley created plenty of chances but were unable to find the back of the net.

Rhys York came close with a header after 10 minutes but the ball bounced straight into the keeper’s arms.

Stuart Brown was denied a a penalty after 25 minutes and a few minutes later, a lapse in concentration at the back let the Southbank striker through and slot the ball past Shanahan from 12 yards.

York again came close when he fired a shot on the turn but the ball curled inches past the post.

Henley pushed in the second half and continued to create plenty of opportunities.

With 10 minutes left, York found space on the right and crossed only for Will Graham to slide in and miss the ball by inches.

With two minutes left, Ben Farmar put Chris Williams through but he was unable to get a clean connection on a bouncing ball and Southbank cleared to seal the win.

Goals from Daniel Donegan and Richie Froude were enough for EMMER GREEN to secure victory over TILEHURST YM as they maintained their push for top spot.

The deadlock was broken on 25 minutes when Donegan’s free kick left the Tilehurst goalkeeper with little chance.

Froude put his side 2-0 up in the second half when he coolly beat the keeper in a one-on-one situation.

Controversy struck with 15 minutes to go in the second half when David Mortimer was deemed to have cleared the ball off the line with his hand which resulted in a red card and a penalty to the visitors. Mark Compton saved the resulting spot kick.

KIDMORE END remain in relegation trouble following a 3-2 defeat at PURLEY.

HENLEY TOWN failed to reach their normal form in their derby clash at home to YMCA UNITED in Division 1 East but they kept another clean sheet as they won by the only goal of a scrappy game.

The hero of the hour was substitute Seb Barton, who scored only five minutes after being called on in the 65th minute. Sam Bell junior fed him a through ball and Barton ran down the centre and lobbed the keeper.

GORING UNITED moved up to fourth place in Division 1 West thanks to a 3-2 win away at THE MOD.

Goring took the lead when substitute Jon Nicholas intercepted a poor cross field pass to set up Sam Green who beat the keeper.

Goring started and played the entire second half with 10 men due to an injury. On the hour mark the visitors went 2-0 up when Green set up Jon Nicholas to score from close range.

The Mod pulled a goal back but straight from the restart Jack Purser and Green combined to set up Nicholas to score.

The Mod pulled a goal back with a penalty in the last minute.

CHECKENDON maintained their Division 2 West promotion push with a 5-1 victory over basement side PURLEY RESERVES.

Elsewhere in the division KIDMORE END RESERVES lost 3-1 at home to MEADWAY YOUTH.

SC UNITED took a huge step towards winning the Division 3 East title after beating rivals ATHLETICO FOREST 4-0 at Bishopswood. Martin Best opened the scoring in the 18th minute when a passing team move finished with left winger Johnny Cartwright cutting the ball back for him to score from 20 yards.

The lead was doubled 10 minutes later when striker Aaron Attfield received a pass from captain Lukonde Kasonde and hit a 25-yard shot that bobbled through the keeper’s hands and legs for his 14th goal of the season.

Substitute Paul Read, who had only been on the pitch for five minutes, killed the game with a goal scored from the edge of the box.

Read netted his second off the game 10 minutes from the final whistle, curling a close-range effort into the bottom right corner having turned an Athletico centre half. MAPLEDURHAM CAVALIERS went down to a 4-0 defeat at home to PRINCE OF WALES.

GORING UNITED RESERVES’ Division 3 West promotion push took a knock after they crashed to a 2-1 defeat at home to PARK VILLA. The hosts went closest to taking the lead in a goalless first half when Chris Cresswell hit the woodwork.

During a 10-minute spell in the second half Park Villa scored twice to take the lead, both from corners.

Goring pulled a goal back when Creswell scored from 20 yards out.

AFC HENLEY moved six points clear of the foot of the Division 4 East table thanks to a 3-2 win away at WINNERSH RANGERS.e_SClB

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say