Monday, 15 October 2018

Bennett nets hat-trick as promotion charge hots up

EMMER GREEN moved up to second place in the Premier League after beating KIDMORE END 5-1 at the Recreation Ground.

EMMER GREEN moved up to second place in the Premier League after beating KIDMORE END 5-1 at the Recreation Ground.

There was nothing between the two sides for the first 20 minutes with both teams coming close to scoring.

Ciaran Crean was the first to get on the score sheet for the hosts when he plucked the ball out of the air and took it past two players before firing home.

Emmer Green went 2-0 up when Richard Bennett struck the ball into the bottom left hand corner. Bennett got his second of the day when he converted a cross from Richie Froude.

In the second half Bennett took on three players before being brought down 25 yards from goal. Daniel Donegan stepped up to convert the free kick into the top left-hand corner.

Bennett completed his hat-trick when he converted a corner. Zac Tull scored Kidmore End’s consolation goal from the penalty spot.

YMCA UNITED picked up a point when they held WOKINGHAM AND EMMBROOK to a 1-1 draw at Lawson Road.

After a goalless first half YMCA upped the pressure after half-time and broke the deadlock when Aymer Wilson won the ball in the Wokingham half and released Jamie Parker who wove past a couple of defenders before scoring.

Wokingham equalised with a counterattack ended with their winger bundling the ball over the line.

Last Thursday YMCA UNITED picked up their first win of the season as they ran out 5-1 winners away to basement side EARLEY UNITED.

Earley struck first when their striker hit a great shot into the top corner of the YMCA goal.

YMCA equalised when Ricki Keeley broke through and his deflected shot was diverted over the line by Jeremy Hughes.

Matt Brakspear put the visitors in front when he controlled a through ball from Jack Kennedy and placed the ball past the keeper at the second attempt.

After half-time YMCA took total control of the game with Keeley scoring two individual goals to complete his hat-trick. Keeley then turned provider for the final goal of the game, playing a ball across the face of the six-yard area for arriving midfielder Jack Kennedy to bundle home.

GORING UNITED’S Division 1 West promotion hopes were ended when they went down to a 4-0 home defeat against runaway league leaders RG ATHLETIC.

KIDMORE END RESERVES suffered a heavy 5-1 defeat at home to Division 2 West basement side PURLEY RESERVES. Ollie Johnson was the scorer for the Gallowstree Common side.

SC UNITED took a step closer to securing the Division 3 East title as they beat SUPER REEVES 2-0 at Bishopswood.

The opening goal came after 20 minutes when captain Lukonde Kasonde flicked a header into Aaron Attfield’s path and he ran into the box on the left-hand side before firing home.

Kasonde was the provider again just before half-time when he slotted a ball out to the left for Attfield again who took a step inside and curled an effort in from the edge of the box.

GORING UNITED went down to a 3-2 defeat away to CROWN INN in Division 3 West. The visitors trailed to an early goal in a scrappy first half on a difficult pitch.

In the second half Goring netted two goals in the space of five minutes to take the lead. The first came from a cross from Chris Cresswell and a smart one-touch finish from Russell Collier. Goring took the lead when Luke Butler fired home from 20 yards.

The Crown then hit back and scored twice in the last five minutes courtesy of a penalty and a close-range effort after a goalmouth scramble.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say