Wednesday, 17 October 2018

SC United suffer setback following first league loss

EMMER GREEN closed in on the Premier Division title with a 6-2 victory at HENLEY YMCA.

EMMER GREEN closed in on the Premier Division title with a 6-2 victory at HENLEY YMCA.

The visitors took the lead after 25 minutes when Daniel Donegan found brother Luke Donegan who lobbed the keeper from 25 yards.

Emmer Green started the second half strongly with an early goal from John Donegan getting on to brother Daniel’s free kick.

Luke Donegan made a run down the right flank before finding Richard Bennett who netted the third.

Bennett then added two more goals to his tally with both goals coming from goalkeeper Mark Compton, good kicking allowed Bennett to get in behind the defence and from him to finish for his hat-trick.

YMCA pulled a goal back through Simon Bradley before John Donegan headed home a free kick for the visitors.

After 75 minutes Green got a free kick which saw Daniel Donegan deliver for brother John to head home very strongly. Henley pulled a goal back late on through Mitch Cooper.

An Anthony Holland brace and goals from Lewis Hayden and Bob Jenkins saw KIDMORE END convincingly beat promotion-chasing THE TYRE BAY. Kidmore took the lead after 35 minutes when Holland met a Matt Walker corner to head home at the far post. Kidmore doubled their lead midway through the second half when Hayden netted from eight yards.

The hosts made it 3-0 in the 80th minute, when Walker delivered a set piece from 30 yards and Holland was once again on hand to head home.

In time added on Kidmore scored their fourth when substitute Jenkins bundled home from five yards.

Having to play four times in eight days, HENLEY TOWN’S chances of winning Division 1 East appeared to be collapsing by the time the first three of those matches had been made.

On Tuesday last week Henley visited LODDON VALLEY RANGERS and raced into a 3-0 lead after 55 minutes before allowing the home team back into the game and to equalise from the penalty spot in the 89th minute.

It looked as though three points had been thrown away, but the Town had other ideas, went straight to the other end and scored the winner almost with the last kick of the game. Henley’s goals came from Ollie Maskell, Paul Nobes and Matt Crouchman, while it was a second strike from Nobes that assured them victory.

Two days later, away to AFC SOUTHFIELD, Henley suffered their first league defeat of the season.

Henley conceded a goal in the first minute but then had most of the play without converting their chances, and Southfield scored again in the 67th minute. Ben Fenning reduced the Town’s arrears in stoppage time, but it was then too late to salvage the match,

On Sunday Henley draw 1-1 away to ELDON CELTIC. Howard Olley put the visitors in front after 10 minutes, volleying home from the edge of the box. Five minutes later, Celtic equalised.

HENLEY TOWN kept their chances of winning the title alive on Tuesday after beating league leaders ARBORFIELD 2-1 at the Triangle.

In a fairly even match Arborfield took the lead midway through the first half when they scored from a disputed penalty.

Henley began to get on top after the break and equalised through Paul Nobes. Town’s continuous pressure paid off when Nobes notched his second goal 15 minutes from time.

Simon Browne netted a hat-trick in 35 minutes to help GORING UNITED secure all three points in a 4-3 home win against BURGHFIELD RANGERS in Division 1 West.

Browne’s first came after 10 minutes when he beat the keeper in a one-on-one situation. After 23 minutes he made it 2-0 when a pass from Jon Nicholas found him with time and space and he scored with ease. Browne completed his hat-trick on 35 minutes with a strike from 18 yards.

Rangers pulled a goal back two minutes into the second half before Jon Day pounded on a goalkeeping error to restored Goring’s three-goal advantage.

Rangers scored two late goals to set a tense finish, but Goring held on to secure all three points.

CHECKENDON maintained their promotion push in Division 2 West with a 6-1 home win over BURGHFIELD.

Division 3 East league leaders SC UNITED suffered their first defeat of the season as they crashed to a 5-2 defeat away to second placed ATHLETICO FOREST.

All five of the Forest goals came from defensive errors with United being 2-0 down within half an hour.

Scott Gyngell pulled a goal back for United after 40 minutes when he converted an Aaron Attfield cross but the hosts hit back with a third goal just before the interval.

United pressed forward in the second half but were caught on the counterattack after 70 minutes to go 4-1 down.

United conceded a penalty in the 80th minute to go 5-1 down before Paul Read headed in a Robbie Jack cross. GORING UNITED RESERVES went down to a 3-0 defeat away to AFC BURGHFIELD RESERVES in Division 3 West, with all the goals coming in the second half.

In Division 4 East SC UNITED RESERVES ended the season bottom of the table after losing 4-0 away to league leaders BURGHFIELD RESERVES.

Elsewhere in the division AFC HENLEY lost 4-0 away to WHITLEY PANTHERS.e_SClB

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say