Monday, 15 October 2018

Barker nets winner as league champions tame Wolves

AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U11s finished their East Berks League season by beating BRACKNELL LIONS U11s 5-1 last Monday at Jubilee

AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U11s finished their East Berks League season by beating BRACKNELL LIONS U11s 5-1 last Monday at Jubilee Park.

Hotspurs took the lead after five minutes when James Swinburn beat the Lions’ defence before placing the ball wide of the keeper.

Soon after the hosts doubled their lead when Jerome Rocks converted from a goalmouth scramble. Nearing the end of the first half Christian Oswald made it 3-0 after good build up play.

In the second half Adam Porter made it 4-0. Later in the half Porter scored his second of the match with a fine individual goal. Lions pressed forward and pulled a goal back late on from a close-range volley.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U10s capped off their East Berks League championship winning season with a 3-2 win away to WARGRAVE WOLVES U10s in their final game of the season. The first half was all Wargrave who created a succession of chances but were thwarted by man-of-the-match Luke Taylor between the posts. After weathering the storm top scorer Jem McAllister unleashed a half volley from outside of the box for his 21st goal of the season to put Henley ahead.

Wargrave equalised with a fine solo run from Harvey Brown and then took the lead with Freddie Collins climbing to meet a corner with a header.

Henley responded as Jamie Hudson ran the ball through a crowd of Wargrave players from the restart and slipped the ball under the keeper to equalise. Archie Barker netted the winning goal.

Harry Purslow netted a hat-trick to help AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U10s win 4-3 away to REACO U10s on Saturday.

Henley took the lead in the first couple of minutes through Purslow. A second was added by Purslow shortly afterwards as he latched on to a loose clearance by the Reaco goalkeeper. Reaco twice caught Henley on the break to make the half time score 2-2.

In the third quarter Adam Palmer hit a rocket from the edge of the box into the top corner while man-of-the-match Brad Coomes had three chances bravely saved by Reaco’s goalkeeper.

Eventually the pressure told as Coomes was fouled in Reaco’s penalty area and smashed the resulting penalty against the post, Purslow was the quickest to react and drilled the ball into the back of the net to secure his treble.

On Sunday the AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U10s won another 4-3 thriller against REACO U10s.

Playing on home turf Henley took the lead when a quick short corner by Coomes and Owen Simmons resulted in Simmons firing home from an acute angle.

Reaco attacked in numbers and were rewarded with two goals in quick succession despite good goalkeeping by Sean Miles.

Henley levelled when Purslow showed good composure in front of goal to score after a run by Dino Cheesman. Reaco continued to attack with purpose and grabbed another goal just before the break to lead 3-2 at half time.

Henley levelled the scores in the second half when Timmy Armstrong broke clear to hammer home. In the final 10 minutes both teams had chance to win the match but Ben Yeoman clinched it for Henley with an angled drive to secure the win.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U9s secured top spot and promotion in Division 3 of the East Berks Youth League on Saturday with a 5-3 win over BINFIELD U9s.

Early on Dan Kernick broke free down the left. His shot was pounced upon by Tristan Flower who was thwarted, only for George Weller to follow up with a decisive finish. Binfield hit back almost immediately to equalise.

Henley took the lead again as Flower scored directly from a corner before delivering a second corner for Kernick to head home.

In the second half Byron Ruffell’s put Henley 4-1 up with a fine solo goal. Casper Clark made it five for Henley before Binfield pulled two goals back late on.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say