Saturday, 15 December 2018

Emmer Green secure the title with plenty to spare

EMMER GREEN secured the Premier Division title with three games remaining after wining 4-0 away to basement side KENNET VALE.

EMMER GREEN secured the Premier Division title with three games remaining after wining 4-0 away to basement side KENNET VALE.

The visitors took the lead when John Donegan converted a Daniel Donegan ball. Soon after Justin Somerville volleyed home from outside the box to double the lead.

Justin Somerville made it 3-0 in the second half and 10 minutes from time Luke Donegan set up Ciaren Crean for the visitors’ fourth of the game.

HENLEY YMCA maintained their promotion hopes with a 4-3 win away to RUSCOMBE.

KIDMORE END held on to beat PANGBOURNE 5-4 and ease their relegation worries. Kieren Chard, Paul Butler and Chard again had put Kidmore three goals up after nine minutes, but Pangbourne hit back to draw level after 35 minutes of play. Chard then grabbed his hat-trick to make it 4-3 just before half-time.

Pangbourne drew level again to make it 4-4 in the 70th minute.

But Butler scored his second and the winner in the 85th minute.

Having completed the double over Division 1 East league leaders in the week, HENLEY TOWN slumped to the other extreme at the weekend, when they could only draw at home against EARLEY UNITED, who were marooned at the foot of the table with only three points.

The visitors took a 25th minute lead when Ben Fenning deflected a Paul Vickers shot past keeper Ben Banks. A powerful shot by Luke Harris restored equality after 43 minutes. Henley certainly had cruel luck with their finishing in the second half, but Earley gained their reward for defending with such determination.

The league is looking into the possibility of AFC Southfield having played an ineligible player when they beat Henley, and, if the Town are awarded another three points retrospectively, Sunday’s result will look even more costly.

Henley are already assured of finishing second, and two clubs will be promoted because of vacancies occurring in the league.

YMCA UNITED won back-to-back games for the first time this season as they triumphed 4-2 at AFC SOUTHFIELD.

The visitors took the lead when a Ricki Keeley free kick on the edge of the area was slipped quickly to Sam Taylor to score.

Shortly after another ball over the top from Keeley caused panic in the Southfield defence, with the centre back and the keeper colliding to present Jamie Parker with a simple task of placing the ball into the back of the net to double the YMCA advantage.

YMCA United went further ahead when Keeley picked the ball up inside the Southfield half and went on one of his trademark slaloming runs, dissecting the Southfield defence before dinking the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net. Just before half-time Southfield won a corner from which they pulled a goal back.

YMCA increased their lead in the second half when Jeremy Hughes headed home. Late in the game the hosts pulled a goal back.

CHECKENDON moved a step closer to promotion from Division 2 West after winning 4-1 away to BARTON ROVERS RESERVES.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say