Saturday, 20 October 2018

Bennett bags four goals as champions march on

RICHARD BENNETT scored four goals to help Premier Division winners EMMER GREEN ease to a 5-2 win away to BETHEL

RICHARD BENNETT scored four goals to help Premier Division winners EMMER GREEN ease to a 5-2 win away to BETHEL UNITED.

Bennett put the visitors ahead before the hosts hit back to equalise. Bennett scored direct from a free kick before completing his hat-trick soon after. United pulled a goal back just before the interval.

Ciaran Crean made it 4-2 to the visitors with a left foot curling shot before Bennett wrapped up the scoring with his fourth goal of the match.

KIDMORE END continued their rich vein of end of season form by beating third placed HENLEY YMCA 4-1.

Kidmore forward Kieren Chard got the ball rolling, smashing past the YMCA goalkeeper from an acute angle with 15 minutes played.

Henley drew level, scoring with a header following a corner.

Kidmore regained the lead with central midfielder Zac Tull scoring a free kick from 25 yards on 35 minutes.

The hosts made it 3-1 midway through the second half when good build-up play between Tull and right back Steve Braisher released Lewis Hayden to score from five yards.

In the last few minutes of the match substitute Tom Basketfield scored with his first touch of the ball with a neat finish at the back post.

YMCA UNITED ended their campaign by knocking Division 1 East leaders ARBORFIELD off the top of the table after holding them to a 3-3 draw at Lawson Road.

The hosts took the lead when a through ball from Jason Russell was chased down by Hassin Smithers who got to the ball just before the Arborfield keeper to slot home.

Arborfield equalised with a low shot into the bottom corner of the YMCA net.

YMCA won a penalty when a goal-bound effort from Brittain was blocked by an Arborfield defender’s outstretched arm. Jeremy Hughes stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and put YMCA back in front.

The hosts went further ahead with a second goal from Hughes. Picking up a loose ball in the opposition penalty area, he calmly stepped away from two defenders before slamming the ball home into the bottom corner.

Arborfield, needing the win to keep alive their hopes pf taking the title, came back at YMCA strongly as the first half drew to a close and were awarded a penalty of their own after a mis-timed tackle from YMCA captain David Robb. However, the Arborfield striker smashed the ball against the bar before the United defence cleared the danger.

Soon after Arborfield did pull a goal back when Robb diverted a cross beyond his own goalkeeper Tim Moore.

The second half saw Arborfield dictating most of the play. The visitors equalised with less than 10 minutes of the match remaining.

CHECKENDON secured promotion from Division 2 West as they came out on top in a 9-5 home win against THEALE.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say