Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Fight back comes too late as Chinnor down Red Kites

HENLEY TOWN went down to a 3-2 defeat away to Chinnor on Saturday in Division 1 East of the Uhlsport

HENLEY TOWN went down to a 3-2 defeat away to Chinnor on Saturday in Division 1 East of the Uhlsport Hellenic League, writes Graham Harris.

The visitors, who were forced to make six team changes, saw Brett Rann make inroads into the Chinnor defence in the early stages.

Matt Wojcowicz had a fine game for Chinnor, constantly causing problems for the Red Kites’ back four, heading just wide after 10 minutes.

A direct free kick awarded to Chinnor after 18 minutes allowed Wojcowicz to flight the ball straight into the goal past an unsighted East.

Henley debutant Richard Witt provided useful height in defence and attack while another free kick from Wojcowicz flew just past the Henley post. Graham Sims was shown a yellow card, shortly before half time.

Henley replaced Adam Jeffrey with Ben Clark for the second half. Jamie Essex created havoc for Henley with his work down the wing, striking a low ball across goal, well saved by the diving East. Chinnor were the more threatening side, scoring again, when Dawson turned the ball past East after seven minutes of second half play.

Henley responded with a shot by Witt which was well blocked by Taunton. The Red Kites were rewarded after 34 minutes through a well-taken goal by Jamie Fairchild. Chinnor replied with Stuart Braun loose in the area turning the ball past East two minutes after kick-off.

Henley’s Andrew Nunn was then treated for an injury as play became scrappy and frantic as the visitors used their other substitute Sam Cripps. Chinnor created several chances but were unable to provide a clinical finish. With seven minutes of the match remaining Jordan Sawyer found space to drill the ball into the left corner of the net for the visitors.

Henley Town: East, Witt, Faherty, Sims, Cooper, Nunn, Jeffrey, Fairchild, Sawyer, Godwin, Rann, Cripps, Clark.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say