Monday, 15 October 2018

Wargrave Reserves get season off to a flying start

A COMEDY of errors saw WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW go down to a 4-3 defeat at home to MARLOW UNITED in the

A COMEDY of errors saw WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW go down to a 4-3 defeat at home to MARLOW UNITED in the John Dell Senior Division.

With a number of players missing due to holidays and injury Woodcote lacked conviction and hesitant defending against a committed Marlow side saw the home team concede four goals inside 30 minutes.

By half-time the score was 4-2 as Jake Dillon scored from the spot, after his brother Frank had been upended by the keeper, and Andy Bullett rifled home in a crowded penalty area in the dying seconds of the half.

Woodcote started the second half with more conviction after a stern half-time lecture from manager Pete McAlister but on 55 minutes, stand-in keeper Adam Burgess was shown a red card after bringing down a Marlow forward. James Worsfold donned the keeper’s jersey and made a fine save from the spot kick.

Being down to 10 men seemed to inspire the home team and from then on, they took the game to Marlow.

The hosts were rewarded with a goal on 65 minutes when Jake Dillon headed home a pinpoint corner from brother Frank.

Almost from the kick-off Marlow almost increased their lead but for another fine save from Worsfold.

Woodcote continued to attack but the Marlow defence held firm for the remaining minutes.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to a single-goal defeat against MORTIMER at Bishopswood in the John Dell Senior Division.

The visitors scored the only goal of the match after 10 minutes when a Mortimer player latched on to a back pass to fire home.

United had the ball in the back of the net soon after following a Keable 18-yard volley but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Rotherfield dominated possession in the second half and put the Mortimer defence under pressure but could not find the back of the net.

Three first half goals secured SONNING all three Division 1 points in their 3-0 win at READING YMCA RAPIDS.

Andrew White put the visitors into the lead after 10 minutes before Craig Eales doubled the scoring 12 minutes later. Charlie Sumner added his side’s third on the half hour mark.

GORING UNITED were held to a 0-0 draw at home to WOODLEY HAMMERS in a match that saw both sides reduced to 10 men in the second half.

Woodley had a player red carded after 77 minutes and five minutes from time the hosts’ Thomas Huelin received his marching orders.

In Division 2 GORING UNITED RESERVES crashed to a 4-2 defeat away to TWYFORD AND RUSCOMBE.

SONNING A went down to a 4-2 defeat away to WOODLEY HAMMERS RESERVES despite taking a two-goal lead.

The visitors went 2-0 up in the first 25 minutes with goals from Anthony Murane-Bell and Ryan McGill. However, the hosts pulled three goals back in 11 minutes soon after to take a 3-2 lead. Matters got worse for the visitors five minutes before half time when Tim Robinson was sent off for picking up his second yellow card of the match. In the second half Woodley added a fourth goal to complete the score line.

WARGRAVE RESERVES came from a goal down to run out comfortable 6-1 winners at THE HOP LEAF in Division 4.

A mix up in the Wargrave defence allowed a Hop Leaf striker to tap the ball home early on.

Wargrave equalised after 40 minutes when Adam Hawkins bundled the ball in from a Tom Bray cross. The visitors took the lead just before half time through a Jim Woolford long range shot.

In the second half Wargrave took control and pressured the Hop Leaf goal. They hit the woodwork a few times and forced the keeper into some good stops but added more goals from Szabo Majoros, Stuart Moss, Ben Carter and a James Pople penalty.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say