Monday, 15 October 2018

Dighton and Tull net first half hat-tricks for Kidmore

ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to a single-goal defeat against MORTIMER at Bishopswood in the John Dell Senior Division.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to a single-goal defeat against MORTIMER at Bishopswood in the John Dell Senior Division.

The visitors scored the only goal of the match after 10 minutes when a Mortimer player latched on to a back pass to fire home.

United had the ball in the back of the net soon after following a Keable 18-yard volley but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Rotherfield dominated possession in the second half and put the Mortimer defence under pressure but could not find the back of the net.

Three first half goals secured SONNING all three Division 1 points in their 3-0 win at READING YMCA RAPIDS.

Andrew White put the visitors into the lead after 10 minutes before Craig Eales doubled the scoring 12 minutes later. Charlie Sumner added his side’s third on the half hour mark.

GORING UNITED were held to a 0-0 draw at home to WOODLEY HAMMERS in a match that saw both sides reduced to 10 men in the second half.

Woodley had a player red carded after 77 minutes and five minutes from time the hosts’ Thomas Huelin received his marching orders.

In Division 2 GORING UNITED RESERVES crashed to a 4-2 defeat away to TWYFORD AND RUSCOMBE.

SONNING A went down to a 4-2 defeat away to WOODLEY HAMMERS RESERVES despite taking a two goal lead.

The visitors went 2-0 up in the first 25 minutes with goals from Anthony Murane-Bell and Ryan McGill. However, the hosts pulled three goals back in 11 minutes soon after to take a 3-2 lead. Matters got worse for the visitors five minutes before half time when Tim Robinson was sent off for picking up his second yellow card of the match.

In the second half Woodley added a fourth goal to complete the score line.

WARGRAVE RESERVES came from a goal down to run out comfortable 6-1 winners at THE HOP LEAF in Division 4.

A mix up in the Wargrave defence allowed a Hop Leaf striker to tap the ball home early on.

Wargrave equalised after 40 minutes when Adam Hawkins bundled the ball in from a Tom Bray cross. The visitors took the lead just before half time through a Jim Woolford long range shot.

In the second half Wargrave took control and pressured the Hop Leaf goal. They hit the woodwork a few times and forced the keeper into some good stops but added more goals from Szabo Majoros, Stuart Moss, Ben Carter and a James Pople penalty.

NEWLY-PROMOTED EMMER GREEN went down to a 2-1 opening day defeat against WRIGHTCHOICE GROUP in the Senior Division.

Wrightchoice took the lead in the first half when a striker fired home a left wing cross.

Emmer Green hit back to equalise in the second half when a Richie Froude long throw deep into the opposition’s box found John Donegan who headed home.

The visitors retook the lead from the penalty spot following a hand ball infringement with a Wrightchoice player sending keeper Charlie Cubbage the wrong way.

First half hat-tricks from strikers Rob Dighton and Zac Tull and a late debut goal from Michael Butcher saw KIDMORE END secure an opening day Premier Division win against PURLEY.

In a lively opening half Kidmore took the lead, with Tull scoring from close range after 10 minutes. Purley immediately drew level from the penalty spot, only for the home side to increase their lead following a 25-yard goal from Tull and a 15-yard strike from Dighton who lobbed the keeper following a mazy run.

Purley fought back with two goals to make the score 3-3. Tull then made it 4-3 following a keeper error to secure his hat-trick on the half hour mark.

Dighton scored Kidmore’s fifth, finishing from eight yards following unselfish build up play by winger Stuart Brown on his debut. Dighton completed his hat-trick soon after with a header to make the half-time score 6-3 to the Gallowstree Common side. The second half still presented chances for both sides, but Kidmore’s back four were able to cut out any threats on goal.

With five minutes remaining new signing Michael Butcher capped off a fine central midfield performance by firing home from 10 yards.

HENLEY YMCA UNITED began the season with defeat away to THE COUNTY in Division 1 East.

United were undone by a goalkeeping error by stand-in keeper Aymer Wilson who, under pressure, failed to claim a routine catch and enabled the onrushing County striker to knock the ball into an unguarded net.

The visitors suffered another setback when last season’s top scorer Ricki Keeley went off with a groin injury after 15 minutes.

United upped the tempo in the second half with captain Matt Brakspear shooting just wide of the post following a corner. Soon after good build up play saw Jeremy Hughes-Burne released down the wing and he crossed neatly for new signing Dan Barrett to slot home into the bottom corner for the equaliser.

United continued to dominate play with Aaron Brittain causing the opposition left back problems. However as the half drew towards a close, a tiring Henley team were forced on to the back foot as the County had a number of opportunities to score. With five minutes remaining the County headed home the decisive winning goal. GORING UNITED got their Division 1 West campaign off to a winning start at CAVERSHAM PARK VILLAGE.

After a goalless first 45 minutes it was the hosts who took the lead early in the second half.

Goring drew level with a goal from Mark Sachse midway through the half. Soon after a breakaway by Jack Purser found Tristan Allen who netted the winner for the visitors.

A wonder strike from debutant Jonny Bramwell and a good finish from Ollie Johnson saw KIDMORE END RESERVES grab a share of the points as they came from behind twice in a 2-2 Division 2 West draw at THE BANTAM. Newly promoted SC UNITED went down to a narrow 2-1 defeat away to BURGHFIELD.

MAPLEDURHAM suffered a 2-0 home defeat against THE PUB in a match that saw Daniel Gale and Toby Marson leave the pitch injured in the first half following a clash of heads for the hosts.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say