Sunday, 21 October 2018

Barker and Hudson help side breeze to victory

AFC HENLEY EAGLES U16s drew their opening match of the season 2-2 with BADSHOT LEA BLADES U16s.

AFC HENLEY EAGLES U16s drew their opening match of the season 2-2 with BADSHOT LEA BLADES U16s.

Henley took the lead after 20 minutes through debutant Guy Brown. Badshot equalised from a corner just before half time.

The game continued to be in the balance until Badshot broke down the right and the ball was squared into the box and well finished from 10 yards.

Henley continued to hit Badshot on the break and good work from Guy Brown down the right resulted in a throw-in deep in the Badshot half. From the throw the ball was played into the box for Henry Hearn to equalise.

AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U11s went down to a narrow 3-2 East Berks League defeat at home to ASCOT UNITED U11s. Henley got off to a sluggish start and were 2-0 down by the end of the first quarter despite some solid defensive work from Owen Simmons and Nick Bird.

The next two quarters were more evenly matched as the Hotspurs began to find their passes with Hamish Carle and Brad Coomes both strong in possession and using George Partridge as a good outlet.

In the second half Michael Clarke moved from goalkeeper to midfield while Adam Palmer, his replacement in goal, pulled off two top drawer saves.

In the final quarter, goals from Dino Cheesman and man-of-the-match Leo Browne brought the Hotspurs level before Ascot scored with a breakaway goal in the final minute of the match.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U11s recorded their first East Berks Youth Alliance Section B win of the season with an impressive display against ASCOT UNITED U11s.

Henley got off to a good start with Archie Barker slotting home a loose ball after the goalkeeper struggled to hold a shot from Jamie Hudson.

Ascot went close on several occasions but Henley defended resolutely and stuck to their task, with man-of-the-match Liam Hilditch marshalling the back line well.

In the final quarter Henley started to apply the pressure and were awarded a penalty when Ben Hudson was upended by the Ascot keeper with only minutes remaining. Hudson converted to make it 2-0.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say