Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Ritchie’s double helps Rotherfield triumph

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW won their first John Dell Senior Division match of the season 5-2 at BRACKNELL ROVERS.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW won their first John Dell Senior Division match of the season 5-2 at BRACKNELL ROVERS.

Making five changes to the previous week’s starting line-up, the visitors started strongly.

Early chances saw Jake Dillon shoot wide, Ryan Corbett shoot over and Chapman also fail to hit the target.

Woodcote made the breakthrough on 26 minutes when Frank Dillon beat his man and saw his cross side footed home by debutant Tommy Chapman.

Woodcote allowed their opponents back into the match as they equalised with a header from a free kick on 29 minutes.

With minutes of the half remaining Jake Dillon lost his marker and was brought down just outside the box, for which the Rovers player received a red card. Nothing came from the resulting free kick but moments later Woodcote got another near the half way line. Gareth Evan hoisted the ball into the box and the keeper mishandled the ball into the net to give the visitors the lead on the stroke of half-time.

A few tactical changes at half-time saw Woodcote quickly kill the game off early in the second half. Within five minutes of the restart Ryan Corbett got to the byline and his cross was headed home by Jake Dillon via a defection.

Next Frank Dillon drove into the box and his low strike was also deflected past the keeper to put Woodcote 4-1 up.

Bracknell pulled a goal back but with time running out, Frank Dillon crossed and Ross Weatherstone peeled off his defender before lobbing the keeper to make it 5-2.

An own goal secured ROTHERFIELD UNITED all three points at HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES.

Rotherfield raced into a 2-0 lead when Darren Ritchie twice ran in behind Highmoor’s high defensive line and calmly slotted past the keeper.

The hosts got back into the game in the second half with two scrappy goals, but United regained the lead in the 76th minute when centre back Guy Bickerton raced down the right flank and crossed in to Keable who diverted the ball goalwards before it was turned into the net by the Highmoor centre back.

WARGRAVE ran out 2-1 winners away to MORTIMER RESERVES in Division 1. The visitors raced into a 2-0 lead within the first half hour after two assists from Tom Bray allowed Graham Bettes and Charlie Bettes to score from close range.

Mortimer came back into the game but Wargrave continued to make chances on the counterattack as they rattled the woodwork twice.

The hosts pulled a goal back after 75 minutes but Wargrave held on to secure all three points.

GORING UNITED and SONNING had to settle for a point each from the 1-1 encounter at Upper Red Cross Road in a match that saw both goals coming in the last nine minutes.

Sonning took the lead after 81 minutes through Charlie Sumner before John Ramsey equalised four minutes later.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES began their Division 2 campaign with a narrow 2-1 defeat at MARLOW UNITED RESERVES. Richard Ashton was the scorer for the visitors.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED RESERVES suffered a 5-0 defeat away to WOKINGHAM AND EMMBROOK A.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES lost out to newly-promoted WOODLEY HAMMERS RESERVES in Division 3 at Bishopswood.

United took the lead after 10 minutes when Mike Hunt made good progress down the right and his cross was parried into the path of Paul Langham who fired home from six yards.

The lead lasted just five minutes as Woodley Hammers equalised. The visitors netted the winning goal six minutes from full time.

SONNING A suffered a heavy 9-2 defeat away to WHITE EAGLES. Anthony Murnane-Bell and Bertie Gingell scored Sonning’s goals, both in the second half.

WARGRAVE RESERVES fought out a 1-1 draw in Division 4 at WOODLEY TOWN B.

Wargrave took the lead through an Adam Hawkins free kick before the hosts scored the equaliser with the last kick of the game.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say