Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Clark’s second half goal secures points for hosts

HENLEY TOWN came from behind to secure the points on Saturday in their Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 East fixture

HENLEY TOWN came from behind to secure the points on Saturday in their Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 East fixture at the Triangle, writes Graham Harris.

The hosts mounted an attack after two minutes, culminating in a firm shot from Matt Godwin being well saved by Alex Williams.

Didcot’s Tom Ingram collected a ball from Fletcher Hoey outside the area and struck it past Steven Fairchild after 11 minutes.

Louis Howell had a chance to equalise but he headed just wide for the Red Kites. Endeavour was rewarded for the home side, when a throw from Richard Thomas found Brett Rann, who beat the keeper with a shot into the left-hand corner with 32 minutes played.

Ingram was treated for an injury before Kris Gray came close for Didcot shortly before the interval.

In the second half Warren Baxter accidentally clashed with team mate Andrew Nunn which resulted in Sam Rolfe substituting for the injured Baxter. Twelve minutes into the second half, a free kick from John Robinson found Sam Borland, whose header put the visitors back into the lead.

Two minutes later Henley equalised again, Howell impressively striking the ball home after good work from Jamie Fairchild. Billy Gordon replaced Richard Thomas for Henley, who were searching for continuity, as the game became scrappy. Frantic goalmouth action during a Kites attack allowed unmarked Ben Clark to stroke the ball into an empty net with Williams committed elsewhere.

Gordon was shown a yellow card before Rann was substituted by Sam Cripps late in the game.

Didcot fought hard for a draw as stoppages prevailed, but the Red Kites defence showed resolve, managing to cling on to their lead and take all three points.

Henley Town: Fairchild, Faherty, Thomas, Sims, Baxter, Nunn, Clark, Fairchild, Howell, Godwin, Rann, Gordon, Baker, Rolfe, Witt, Cripps.

lHenley Town progressed to the semi-finals of the Henley Charity Cup on Tuesday following their 7-1 thrashing of Reading League side Wargrave.

The Red Kites took the lead through Graham Sims before Stuart Moss equalised for Wargrave.

Louis Howell put Henley ahead once again before a brace from Jim Nightingale and goals from Darragh O’Callaghan, Sam Cripps and an own goal completed the scoring.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say