Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Spot on Dillon helps Woodcote/Stoke Row ease to comfortable home win

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW overcame the adversity of losing two key players to injury in the first half to run out 4-1

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW overcame the adversity of losing two key players to injury in the first half to run out 4-1 winners at home to SANDHURST in the John Dell Senior Division last Saturday.

The hosts took the lead after six minutes when Mike Higley headed home a Frank Dillon corner.

Minutes later defender Dave Rook had to leave the field with an injury. This did nothing to halt the momentum as Jake Dillon soon had two opportunities to increase the lead while skipper Jim Hancock saw his header from a corner just miss the upright.

After 27 minutes Sandhurst equalised. Goalkeeper Kane Roberts made a save to push the ball wide but it was driven across goal to the far post and converted by an attacker.

Straight from the kick-off Ryan Corbett latched on to a through ball from Jake Dillon to hammer home.

Paul Knox, Corbett and Jake Dillon all went close to increasing the home side’s lead while the visitors forced Roberts into pulling off several good saves.

On 28 minutes Woodcote lost centre-back, Olly Chapman to injury forcing James Worsfold to drop back into an unfamiliar position.

Three minutes into the second half Woodcote increased their lead from the penalty spot. Corbett was brought down in the box and Jake Dillon stepped up to score.

After 65 minutes the result was put beyond doubt when Knox rounded the keeper and slid the ball home. Two goals in the last nine minutes earned SONNING all three points away to PINEWOOD in Division 1.

The hosts had taken the lead in the first half before Sean Moore equalised nine minutes from time. Charlie Sumner netted the winner for the visitors four minutes later.

GORING UNITED secured their first three points of the season following their 3-2 win at WOODLEY TOWN A.

Andrew Martin put the visitors ahead on the half hour mark before the hosts equalised five minutes into the second half.

Luke Butler netted two goals in five minutes on the hour mark to put Goring 3-1 ahead before the visitors pulled a goal back two minutes from time.

GORING UNITED RESERVES are still searching for their first Division 2 win of the season after they went down 4-1 at home to BAUGHURST AFC. Jamie Taylor was on target for the home side.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES achieved their first point of the season with a 1-1 draw at THEALE RESERVES. James Wheeler was on target for the visitors.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES eased to a comfortable 3-0 win away at SONNING A in Division 3.

Rotherfield took the lead on 10 minutes when the ball was played down the right wing to Ellis Mason who calmly clipped it to the back post for Ryan Holmes to volley across goal from the corner of the six yard box.

United doubled their lead when Ricky Sidhu played a ball into the box for Ryan Holmes to score. Soon after Paul Langham nicked the ball from a Sonning player in midfield and ran into the 18 yard box where he netted his side’s third of the match.

WARGRAVE RESERVES eased to a comfortable 10-1 victory at home to THE HOP LEAF in Division 4.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say