Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Helas grabs late brace to help side progress

GORING ROBINS U10s were held to a goalless draw against DIDCOT TOWN U10s on Saturday in the Oxford Mail Youth

GORING ROBINS U10s were held to a goalless draw against DIDCOT TOWN U10s on Saturday in the Oxford Mail Youth League.

Captained by defender Norris, Goring made a good start to the game. Gooch demonstrated his skills with a pass to Funnell in the seventh minute resulting in a shot on target. Goring had many more chances throughout in a game that saw end-to-end action.

Didcot demonstrated a fighting spirit but were denied any reward for their efforts by Goring goalkeeper Slade, flanked by Llewellyn, Pemberton and Rasmussen who provided a solid defence.

GORING ROBINS U12s ran out 7-4 winners away to KENNET VALLEY RAIDERS U12s in the Berkshire Youth Development League on Sunday.

The hosts took the lead with a shot into the roof of the goal from a corner. Goring’s James Pearson was able to quickly reply with a goal, the pass from Samir Enright arcing over the Raiders to undo the defence.

Goring upped the pressure, with Matthew Bell finding the net from a Josh Monk assist.

The Raiders kept attacking, forcing a number of clearances from Sam Alexander. The visitors found the net again with good play from Monk, Enright and a fine finish from Pearson.

The second half started as the first had finished with Kennet reducing the deficit down to one again. Goring stepped up a gear and a threaded pass from Bertie Spencer sent Pearson goal bound again.

Kennet pulled back another goal, but to no avail as Bell recovered Goring’s two goal advantage, before adding two more with Kennet also scoring once again.

GORING ROBINS U13s progressed to the next round of the Oxfordshire FA Ron Smith Cup after beating HINKSEY PARK U13s 6-3 on Sunday.

The Robins started brightly and a move down the right flank opened Hinksey up with Owen Stegeman heading in Archie Helas’ lofted pass for an early lead.

Hinksey didn’t lie down and soon were dominating possession, eventually levelling after a good through ball caught the Robins defence on its heels.

Goring reclaimed the lead just before half-time when Jamie Masters fed Dan Wallace who slotted past the keeper.

The Robins extended their lead early in the second half when Wallace set up Masters after a delightful move with Helas, but Hinksey fought back and scored twice to level.

It looked like momentum had swung to the visitors, but the Robins then took the lead through Wallace on the counter attack, before Helas scored twice to secure the Robins’ progression to the next round.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say