Wednesday, 19 December 2018

Cripps’ extra-time double proves decisive

TWO extra time goals from Sam Cripps ensured Henley Town progressed to the second round of the Oxfordshire Cup last

TWO extra time goals from Sam Cripps ensured Henley Town progressed to the second round of the Oxfordshire Cup last Saturday.

Due to the early kick-off Henley were without several players due to work commitments as well as injuries while captain Graham Sims was serving a one match suspension.

Henley started brightly but fell behind in the 25th minute. The visitors equalised 10 minutes later through Louis Howell. Five minutes before the interval Headington broke away to re-take the lead.

The momentum shifted back to the Red Kites after the interval as the visitors had the majority of play.

Henley eventually equalised in the 85th minute when a Billy Gordon effort was deflected past the Headington keeper.

In extra time Sam Cripps put Henley in front after just two minutes before extending the lead with his second of the match two minutes before the break. Headington pulled a goal to make it 4-3 but Henley defended sturdily to secure a second round home tie against Marston Saints on November 12.

Henley Town: Ashley East, Victor Sesay, Mitch Cooper, Andrew Nunn, Richard Thomas, Dan Faherty, Billy Gordon, Ryan Witt, Matt Godwin, Sanchez Commack, Louis Howell. Subs: Sam Cripps, Rupen Limbu.

HENLEY TOWN won their third successive cup match in eight days on Tuesday night as they knocked Mortimer out of the Reading Senior Cup at the first round stage at the Invesco Perpetual Triangle Ground.

Mitchell Cooper headed home the only goal of the game from a corner after six minutes following a Danny Faherty corner in a match that was played in heavy rain, thunder and lightning.

Both teams had plenty of chances of scoring but poor finishing let them down while Henley goalkeeper Ashley East and Stuart Gosby, the former Henley keeper playing between the sticks for the visitors, both pulled off good saves.

Mortimer started the second half well and pushed Henley but could not find the breakthrough as East once again pulled off a string of good saves.

The visitors did manage to get the ball in the net but their effort was ruled out for offside.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say