Thursday, 13 December 2018

Injury time goal wins it for hosts

HAMBLEDEN went down to a narrow defeat in their fourth consecutive away game as they lost 2-1 at Penn and

HAMBLEDEN went down to a narrow defeat in their fourth consecutive away game as they lost 2-1 at Penn and Tylers Green in the Senior Division of the Wycombe and District League last Saturday.

The hosts started strongly with a string of strong challenges. Hambleden came close to opening the scoring after some neat interchanges involving Ben Chivers, Ryan Kemp and Mike Wilkins led to Adam North fashioning an overhead kick from inside the area that shaved the post.

Penn struck back and after a corner cleared by Kemp, Roundall fired a shot against the Hambleden upright. Hathaway in the Hambleden goal then had to be alert turning over a lofty header from the same player on their next attack.

Markwell and Rodrigues, paired at the heart of defence, repelled the hosts’ attacks albeit under pressure inside the Hambleden box.

Ryan Kemp tricked his way through Penn’s back line and forced a save from the keeper before Chivers latched on to the rebound but his shot went wide.

Adam North put in a series of deliveries which flashed across goal but with neither side being able to find a touch as Hambleden ended the first half on the front foot.

As soon as the second half began Hambleden were caught napping as the forced the pace and from a free kick midway in the Hambleden half, drew first blood. A flighted centre found Rogers who managed to direct his header over the outstretched keeper and into the back of the net from just inside the area.

Hambleden initiated a quick response as Lewis Brown, on as a half-time replacement for Tom Irving, caused a series of problems down the right. After being played in by Matt Cook, deputising at right back, Brown outwitted his defender and crossed for Wilkins to fire home the equaliser from close range.

With Penn seeming to tire Hambleden pushed forward with Chivers and Brown causing problems.

On 62 minutes another Brown run and cross saw Paul Reading collect his pass inside the box before ramming home Hambleden’s second.

Constant pressure saw Hambleden go close to sealing the game as Chris Brunning flashed a header wide, Reading scuffed a shot when in front of goal and Brown chipped over when put through by Wilkins.

With five minutes remaining Hambleden were made to pay for not putting the game to bed. First Markwell made a hash of a clearance allowing the Penn striker to steal the ball on the edge of the area to equalise.

Five minutes into injury time another deep Penn delivery saw Hathaway racing off his line to intercept only for Keene to come out of the fracas with the ball to seal all three points for the home side.

Hambleden: Ross Hathaway, Chris Brunning, Adam Markwell, James Rodrigues, Matt Cook, Tom Irving, Ben Chivers, Mike Wilkins, Ryan Kemp, Adam North, Paul Reading. Subs: Oz Dawson, Lewis Brown, Duane Brian.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say