Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Kidmore End celebrate emphatic cup success

HENLEY TOWN progressed to the third round of the cup on Sunday thanks to a comfortable win away to GRIMSBURY.

HENLEY TOWN progressed to the third round of the cup on Sunday thanks to a comfortable win away to GRIMSBURY.

Following a 45-minute delay before kick-off, the visitors cruised into a 3-0 half-time lead before adding two more goals in the second half.

Henley’s goals came from Matt Sinclair (2), Ollie Maskell, Ross Gallagher and Sam Bell senior.

Ten minutes from the end, Town keeper Andy Menear was sent off for handling outside the area when he caught a high ball but then lost his balance and was carried over the line.

SC UNITED also moved into the next round of the competition thanks to a 2-0 win against SPORTING HEADINGTON at Bishopswood.

United opened the scoring midway through the first half when a wayward Ryan O’Brien corner was headed back into the box by midfielder Lukonde Kasonde for centre half Simon Eade to volley into the net from close range.

Eade added his second of the match 15 minutes from time when he headed home an O’Brien corner.

KIDMORE END cruised into the next round with a comfortable 7-2 win over ASHTON VILLA at Gallowstree Common. In a frantic opening period Holland struck the bar with a 20 yard volley. Tull kick-started matters following a goalmouth scramble, smashing home from close range before Braisher, who had early struck the bar with a close range header, collected Tom Basketfield’s through ball to slot into the corner from 18 yards.

Turner pounded on some poor defending to coolly finish to put United 3-0 up.

Kidmore’s best goal of the game came after a good passage of passing football saw Stuart Brown released down the left and his cross was dispatched by Holland.

Against the run of play, Ashton briefly hit back with goalkeeper Simon Switala failing to collect a through ball, allowing the striker to finish into an empty net.

Brown then opened his account for Kidmore with the fifth, waltzing through the Ashton defence to unleash a 25 yard shot giving the keeper no chance.

With 25 minutes remaining Turner added his second and Kidmore End’s sixth. Man-of-the-match Brown wrapped up the scoring for Kidmore before Ashton grabbed a late consolation goal.

HENLEY YMCA UNITED crashed out of the tournament after going down 4-2 at home to WATLINGTON TOWN.

Henley took the lead midway through the first half when a long shot from Sam Taylor took a deflection and looped into the top of the Watlington net. This was the only goal of the first half, though Henley were indebted to some fine challenges from Matt Webb and Alex Rooke at the heart of the defence.

From the start of the second half Watlington began to grow more in confidence and soon some continuous pressure led to their equaliser. A miscommunication between defender Paul Taylor and YMCA keeper Aymer Wilson ended up gifting the Watlington striker an easy finish. From the resulting kick-off Watlington continued to monopolise possession and shortly after their midfielder waltzed through the Henley half before firing home.

YMCA conceded a third goal when the Watlington striker was again given too much time and space, enabling him to shoot beyond the despairing dive of Wilson. Henley began to exert pressure on the Watlington defence, with YMCA man-of-the-match Aaron Brittain causing panic in the visiting half every time he received the ball on the right wing.

YMCA pulled a goal back when substitute David Robb launched a drive from the edge of the area that hit the back of the Watlington net with the aid of a slight deflection.

Henley poured forward in search of an equaliser but were caught on a counterattack when a Watlington forward was again allowed space and slotted home their fourth goal of the game.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say