Friday, 19 October 2018

Sumner’s brace enough to keep Sonning at the top

CONTINUED wet weather forced the postponement of 10 matches last Saturday, including the Senior Division matches involving both Rotherfield United

CONTINUED wet weather forced the postponement of 10 matches last Saturday, including the Senior Division matches involving both Rotherfield United and Woodcote/Stoke Row.

Of the matches played Division 1 league leaders SONNING remain top of the table despite being held to a 2-2 draw at Pound Lane by basement side WOODLEY TOWN A.

Charlie Sumner netted both the goals for the hosts.

In Division 2 league leaders COMPTON recorded their biggest win of the season as they thrashed bottom-of-the-table side GORING UNITED RESERVES 10-0.

Elsewhere in the division WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES slipped to a 4-1 defeat at home to BAUGHURST.

Woodcote had difficulty in getting hold of the ball, but once in possession they created the first two meaningful chances with Andy Taylor having a shot saved and then turning provider for a chance headed wide by Jonny Clark.

After eight minutes a lack of concentration in the Woodcote defence allowed enough space for a striker to slide the ball past Mark Pearson for 1-0. After that Baughurst continued to look good in possession but created little in the way of scoring opportunities while Woodcote began to look dangerous.

After 35 minutes a James Wheeler thunderbolt was saved and from the resulting corner Will Macdonald headed narrowly wide.

Late in the half Wheeler was put through with only the keeper to beat, but his shot was weak and the keeper saved comfortably.

There was still time for a Baughurst counter which brought a fine tip over from Pearson.

Woodcote started the second half strongly and equalised after 53 minutes. A free kick from 20 yards by Taylor took a deflection and went in via both posts.

For a long time it looked as if the game might finish even, but after 70 minutes Baughurst restored their lead when a through ball beat the home defence and an attacker latched on to it to beat Pearson. Woodcote hit back and had the misfortune to see a Jonny Clark strike rebound off the bar and a Tom Brownlow header go narrowly wide. This was soon followed by a sweeping move which ended with Macdonald shooting over. Almost immediately Woodcote were hit with another sucker punch as the scorer of the previous goal scored in almost identical circumstances to make it 3-1.

As the match drew to a close Ross Weatherstone saw his free kick clawed away from the top corner by the Baughurst keeper and Worsfold headed wide from a corner.

Baughurst wrapped up the win with a late goal as Woodcote pushed forward in numbers.

WARGRAVE RESERVES slipped to a 5-2 defeat away to SHINFIELD in Division 4.

Shinfield took a first-half lead after 15 minutes before a defensive mistake early in the second half saw the hosts go 2-0 up.

Wargrave pulled a goal back through a George Stagg header before Shinfield restored their two-goal advantage two minutes later.

Wargrave kept pushing forward but conceded a fourth when they were caught on the counterattack.

Tegg converted a through ball with a calm finish for his second of the match for the visitors. in the final 10 minutes the hosts netted their fifth of the game.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say