Monday, 17 December 2018

Town and United in last eight

FOR the second year running, HENLEY TOWN reached the quarter-finals of the Sam Waters County Cup through victory over ZUBRY

FOR the second year running, HENLEY TOWN reached the quarter-finals of the Sam Waters County Cup through victory over ZUBRY OXFORD.

In a match of high quality and excitement, the Polish side forced the game into extra time before a decision could be reached.

Henley began well, scoring through Matt Sinclair after five minutes and Sam Bell junior after another quarter-hour. Still 2-0 up at half-time, the Town looked strongly placed, but Zubry fought back and scored twice. They went on to take the lead in the first half of extra time before Sinclair equalised before the teams again changed ends.

Henley finally took control of the game as the visitors faded in the second added period, Felix O’Sullivan giving the Town the lead before Sinclair completed his hat-trick.

In the quarter-finals Henley Town will travel to Chinnor Sports.

Left winger Ryan O’Brien netted a hat-trick to help SC UNITED progress to the next round thanks to a 4-3 win at WATLINGTON TOWN.

O’Brien put the visitors ahead after just three minutes when he headed in right winger Walid Zakis’ chip. O’Brien then made it 2-0 after 20 minutes when he headed in a Zaki cross.

The pick of the goals was his hat-trick goal 10 minutes later when he burst past his opposing right back on the halfway line and unleashed a 30-yard drive straight into the top corner.

A penalty was awarded against Simon Eade on the stroke of half-time which gave Watlington a lifeline.

The game came to life when SC United right back Dan Cousineau bizarrely volleyed in an own goal from a Watlington cross after 60 minutes.

Ten minutes later centre back Robbie Jack was shown a red card for hauling down a Watlington striker when clear through on goal. Watlington completed the comeback in the 80th minute, a long ball into the box beat the offside trap for a home striker to tap in from close range.

In the 90th minute the Watlington keeper made a host of saves to deny a winner resulting in a number of corners. A Martin Best shot was blocked by the hands of a Watlington defender and a 94th minute penalty was awarded which Aaron Attfield converted to secure his side a quarter-final showdown at Bishopswood against Freeland Yeoman.

KIDMORE END crashed out of the tournament as they went down 1-0 away to AFC JERICHO.

A depleted Kidmore side conceded the only goal of the game 15 minutes from time.

Jericho went close on several occasions but a Simon Switala save and a goal line clearance from Simon Butler had kept the visitors in it.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say