Monday, 15 October 2018

Corbett at the double as side makes cup progress

HOSTS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW progressed to the third round of the Senior Cup with little difficulty against a BRACKNELL ROVERS team

HOSTS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW progressed to the third round of the Senior Cup with little difficulty against a BRACKNELL ROVERS team which had dumped them out of the Maidenhead Norfolkian Senior Cup earlier in the season.

Both sides created goal-scoring chances in the first minute, both of which went begging.

After seven minutes James Worsfold saw his shot rebound off the upright following a cross by Ryan Corbett. Corbett himself had a good chance soon afterwards, but he headed wide from Dave Givens’ long throw.

The hosts took the lead after 20 minutes when another Givens throw was headed on by Darren Russell for Corbett to head home.

Bracknell almost equalised within a minute, but a long-range strike from the left went just wide of the post. Woodcote were now firmly in control and added to their lead before the break when Frank Dillon scored direct from a corner with a helping hand from the Bracknell keeper. The second half began in dramatic fashion with James Worsfold spotting the keeper off his line and lobbing in from distance but the ball bounced in the six-yard box and bounced over the undefended goal.

Another good chance came after 50 minutes when Darren Russell got on the end of a Corbett free kick but his attempt went over the bar.

A minute later a slick passing move involving five players presented Dave Givens with the ball just outside the box. Givens looked up and blasted an unstoppable shot into the top corner to make it 3-0.

The scoring was wrapped up after 65 minutes when Corbett received the ball on the right and cut inside his marker before firing home.

The visitors did get one good chance when Dave Rook brought down a forward in the area, but Bracknell’s spot kick went wide of the upright.

In the last minute Corbett was denied his hat-trick by a good save.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED also secured their place in the next round of the cup thanks to a 1-0 win away at UNITY.

The visitors scored the only goal of the match after 15 minutes when Jordan Cuthbert released debutant Craig Sinclair who raced through and stepped inside the defender before firing past the keeper.

Unity piled on the pressure for the rest of the first half, but an acrobatic goalline clearance from centre back Ryan Richardson and a good save from Grant Wildish kept out the home side’s attack.

In the second half Unity continued to pressurise the Rotherfield defence but they stood firm and limited them to long distance efforts and half chances.

There was also success for club in the Junior Cup as ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES thrashed TAPLOW UNITED A 5-0 at Bishopswood.

The hosts took the lead after 25 minutes when a Langham chipped ball to the back post found Mike Hunt who headed home.

Ten minutes later Ryan Holmes made it 2-0 when his low cross from the left found Ben Cousins who back heeled the ball past the despairing keeper.

Five minutes before half-time Langham clipped the ball over the backline from the halfway line to Ellis Mason who volleyed home his side’s third of the match.

On the hour mark Hunt’s 20-yard shot was parried by the keeper, but the ball fell to Mason to score.

Mason then had a wayward volley find Mathew Jarvis on the left side of the 18 yard box after 70 minutes. Jarvis stepped inside the defender before firing home past the keeper.

Elsewhere WARGRAVE RESERVES crashed out of the tournament after they were thrashed 9-0 at WHITE EAGLES.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say