Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Howell nets on debut to help hosts see off Ibis challenge

EMMER GREEN moved three points clear in the Senior Division of visitors IBIS BM after beating them 4-2 at the

EMMER GREEN moved three points clear in the Senior Division of visitors IBIS BM after beating them 4-2 at the Recreation Ground.

The hosts went ahead after 20 minutes with a ball from Chris Read found Josh Beisly at the back post where he volleyed home.

Ibis pulled a goal from the penalty spot but it wasn’t long before Green were ahead again after a long range Daniel Donegan free-kick found its way over the line after the keeper flapped at it.

In the second half the ball fell to Luke Donegan’s feet and he turned and fired into the top right corner to put the hosts 3-1 up.

Victory was assured when good midfield play led to debutant Dickie Howell scoring at the near post. Ibis pulled a goal back late in the game.

In the Premier Division KIDMORE END put four past hosts TILEHURST YM to move up to second place in the table with a 4-2 win.

A brace from Kieren Chard, a back post header by Simon Turner and a Michael Butcher penalty sealed their sixth win of the season.

HENLEY TOWN moved up to third place thanks to a 3-1 win at ARBORFIELD.

Henley opened the scoring after 35 minutes, when Sam Bell junior ran through the opposition, dribbled the ball round the keeper and found the net from an acute angle.

Arborfield equalised on the hour mark following good play by their winger. Straight from the kick-off Henley restored their lead when a Darren Ritchie shot took a deflection that wrong-footed the Arborfield goalkeeper.

A good passing move after 75 minutes ended with Howard Olley sending in the younger Bell, who dropped his shoulder and picked his spot to make it 3-1.

HENLEY YMCA UNITED are still searching for their first Division 1 East win of the season after slipping to a single-goal defeat in a nine-goal encounter against visiting side LODDON VALLEY RANGERS. The visitors took the lead when an unmarked player at the back post converted.

The hosts hit back when George Chaplin received the ball on the right wing before cutting inside and arrowing the ball into the bottom left-hand corner of the Loddon Valley net.

Loddon Valley retook the lead when a sliced cross floated across the box, wrong footing all the YMCA defence before nestling to the far top corner of the net.

YMCA hit back when skipper Matt Webb sent a long range chip across from the top right-hand corner of the box and into the top corner of the net.

Henley continued to press before the half-time whistle and were rewarded when Dan Barrett got the ball in the box and made no mistake to fire the hosts into the lead.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first, with chances falling at both ends and after Taylor had hit the bar for United, Loddon Valley drew level through a goal-mouth scramble.

Henley took the lead again when Jason Russell received the ball on the left deep inside the Loddon Valley half and cut inside the defender before floating a curling effort into the far top corner.

As both teams tired, both keepers were continually called into action. Loddon Valley equalised when a quick break ended with the ball being shot into the bottom corner of the Henley net.

With five minutes remaining Loddon Valley struck the decisive blow when a goal-mouth melee following a corner ended with the ball deflecting into the Henley net.

GORING UNITED suffered a 4-2 defeat at home to CAVERSHAM PARK VILLAGE in Division 1 West.

The visitors had the upper hand in the first half as they raced into a 3-0 lead.

In the second half Caversham extended their lead before Simon Browne netted two consolation goals for the hosts.

SC UNITED ran out comfortable 4-0 winners away to Division 2 West basement side AFC BURGHFIELD RESERVES.

United took the lead midway through the first half through a counterattack from an AFC Burghfield corner. Centre half Louie Williams ran the ball out of defence and a long pass up to Lukonde Kasonde was flicked into strike partner Aaron Attfield’s path for him to volley in from the edge of the box.

The lead was doubled just before half-time when an Attfield shot was parried by the Burghfield keeper into the path of Kasonde, who tapped in from close range.

The third goal came early in the second half when a Ryan O’Brien corner was headed into the net by a diving Attfield. Centre half Simon Eade scored a late goal after striker Dan Cousineau flicked an O’Brien corner into his path before overhead kicking it into the roof of the net.

Elsewhere in the division KIDMORE END RESERVES went down to a 2-1 defeat against high-flying BURGHFIELD at Gallowstree Common.

MAPLEDURHAM went down to a 2-1 defeat away to SUPER REEVES in Division 3 East.

After a goalless first half the hosts took the lead early in the second half scoring from a free kick awarded for a back pass decision.

The hosts doubled their lead from a corner before Matt Harden pulled a goal back for the visitors.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say