Saturday, 20 October 2018

Town pick up a point despite three players seeing red

HENLEY TOWN took a point from Saturday’s Division 1 East encounter against Milton United in a match that saw two

HENLEY TOWN took a point from Saturday’s Division 1 East encounter against Milton United in a match that saw two goals being scored in the first three minutes, a missed penalty at the end and three players receiving their marching orders, writes Mike Trendall.

The Red Kites got off to a bright start with Mitch Cooper scoring from close range from a corner before Adam Bruce ran through the home defence and dribbled round keeper Steve Fairchild to equalise.

Sam Cripps came close to putting Henley in front but was sent off after 19 minutes after being involved in a skirmish.

Six minutes later Dan Faherty crossed from the right wing for Warren Baxter to make it 2-1 with a diving header at the far post. He came close to repeating it from a Cooper corner but headed wide.

Adam Bruce tried to lob Fairchild in the second half only to see his attempt just go over the bar.

Soon after Cooper was given a red card in another scrap with the Milton defence. Goodwin was subbed by Louis Howell and with 12 minutes to go former Town player Michael Davies beat the offside trap to fire low past the oncoming Fairchild for 2-2.

Alex Allen, on his return to the club, came on and must have thought he would finish on the losing side as Fairchild brought down a Milton forward. The Henley keeper was sent off and Andrew Nunn went in goal for eight-man Henley. The resulting spot kick cannoned off the bar and the round was cleared to safety.

Henley Town: S Fairchild, D Faherty, S Rolfe, R Thomas, A Nunn, M Cooper, M Goodwin, B Clark, W Baxter, S Cripps, K Sims. Subs: A Allan, J Donnegan, L Howell.

HENLEY TOWN crashed out of the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday after holding their opponents for 50 minutes at 1-1 and then conceding two quick goals, writes Mike Trendall.

Early on, Alex Allen fired over the bar and Sam Cripps had a shot kicked off the line but Maidenhead went in front when a shot hit the bar and Timins headed in.

Allen equalised from a cross from Ben Clark and Henley held out until half-time with Baxter making some good tackles in defence.

The visitors went in front when substitute Isaac beat Fairchild from 25 yards which the keeper got a touch to but could not stop it going inside the near post. A quick break saw Malcolm make it 3-1 to the visitors.

Allen had an attempt clawed away for a corner but Maidenhead broke away again only to hit the home crossbar.

Allen had a drive palmed out by the Maidenhead keeper before manager Craig Hiscock brought on three substitutes. However, this was to no avail as they went 4-1 down straight away through Mendy. Hypponite made it 5-1 and Malcolm got his second late on to complete the scoring.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say