Monday, 15 October 2018

Nowell bags four goals as Woodcote turn on the style

AFTER a slow start, which gave little warning of what was to follow, WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW hit top form with seven

AFTER a slow start, which gave little warning of what was to follow, WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW hit top form with seven goals in a second-half landslide as they beat visitors TAPLOW UNITED 9-2 in their Premier Division clash.

Taplow drew first blood after half an hour when Henry Bailey headed home a near-post corner. Woodcote’s pressure paid off after 40 minutes when they were awarded a free kick for handball just outside the area. Frank Dillon stepped up to curl the ball into the top corner beyond the diving Taplow keeper.

A minute later Woodcote were in the lead. Dave Givens hit a long-range cross-field pass into the path of Frank Dillon, whose low cross eluded the defence and fell to James Worsfold who side-footed into the net. A minute later Taplow were on terms when the Woodcote defence failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Keith Shields who volleyed home. Almost immediately Woodcote could have taken the lead when Toby Nowell was put clean through, but the visiting keeper came out quickly to block the shot.

The second half was only two minutes old when Woodcote restored their lead. Gareth Evans’ deep cross from the left was met by Nowell who made up for his earlier miss with a glancing header. On 55 minutes it was 4-2 as Dave Givens shot powerfully and the ball squirmed underneath the keeper into the far corner.

On the hour mark Jake Dillon made it 5-2 with a header from a perfect cross by Nowell.

Taplow hit the bar from a free kick before Kane Roberts then made a good save from the rebound. This proved a brief respite for the beleaguered Taplow defence as Nowell made it 6-2, flicking the ball over the covering defender into the net after Jake Dillon had cleverly chipped the ball to him over the advancing keeper.

As the game entered its last five minutes Nowell completed his hat-trick with Woodcote’s seventh. Jake Dillon’s shot was deflected straight into Nowell’s path and he swept the ball home.

The score became 8-2 as the Dillon twins united, Frank as creator and Jake to supply a very clever finish from close-range. As the match entered injury time Nowell popped up again to claim his fourth and Woodcote’s ninth after a cross from Sam Green was nodded into his path by skipper, Jim Hancock.

Jonny Clark scored his second hat-trick of the season to help WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES to a 5-0 Division 3 win at TWYFORD AND RUSCOMBE. The other two goals were scored by Andy Taylor and an own goal.

In Division 4 Tony Turner netted a hat-trick as SONNING A defeated HURST RESERVES 5-1 at Pound Lane. Terry Batley and Dean Condon were the hosts’ other scorers. Craig Oatham was on target for ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES at Bishopswood as his side went down to a 2-1 defeat at home to UNITY RESERVES.

GORING UNITED RESERVES suffered a 5-0 defeat at home to HIGHMOOR/IBIS B.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say