Friday, 19 October 2018

Nowell at the double as Woodcote move up table

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW moved up to second place in the Premier Division after beating lowly visitors WRAYSBURY 3-0.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW moved up to second place in the Premier Division after beating lowly visitors WRAYSBURY 3-0.

The visitors went close to taking the lead in the first minute when a shot from distance beat Kane Roberts in the Woodcote goal and rebounded to safety.

The home side soon settled and launched a series of attacks which kept Wraysbury pinned in their own half for much of the first 45 minutes.

Toby Nowell had two good chances in the first 10 minutes but hit the side-netting with one and missed the target again after Jim Hancock had put him in the clear.

James Worsfold then missed a header from Nowell’s cross before shooting wide from a good position. This pattern of play continued until the 41st minute when Nowell made it 1-0 with a close-range finish from Worsfold’s cross.

The second half continued in the same manner with only isolated attacks from Wraysbury, but the result was not put beyond doubt until the second Woodcote goal after 75 minutes. Tommy Chapman, who was one of the outstanding performers on the day, dispossessed a defender near the goal-line and crossed for Worsfold to make it 2-0.

Nowell took his goal tally for the season to 23 to complete the scoring with a clinical finish after Mike Hancock’s pinpoint long-range pass had put him clear of the defence.

Division 1 basement side SONNING picked up their points of the season as they beat WOODLEY TOWN RESERVES 2-0 at Pound Lane.

Anwar Whight and Jake Sackman were the scorers for the hosts in a match that saw Clive Akem-Che sent off.

WARGRAVE moved up to second spot in Division 2 thanks to a narrow 1-0 home victory against SANDHURST DEVELS RESERVES.

The hosts had the better of the first half and scored the decisive goal when Callum Hunter played a through ball for Tom Bray who cut inside the defender and slotted home.

Sandhurst almost equalised on the stroke of half-time but missed a good headed chance.

Wargrave were in control for the first quarter-of-an-hour of the second half but missed several chances.

Elsewhere in the division GORING UNITED crashed to a 5-1 defeat at home to COMPTON. The visitors started the game with a quick tempo and went 2-0 up inside the first 10 minutes.

The visitors increased their lead early in the second half before Jack Murray pulled a goal back on the hour mark with a penalty following hand ball in the area. Compton hit back immediately and netted twice more to complete the scoreline. WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES triumphed 2-1 away to BAUGHURST AFC in Division 4 with all the goals coming in the first half.

Paul Knox opened Woodcote’s account after 10 minutes and Andy Taylor scored a second before the half-hour mark.

Baughurst narrowed the gap but then had a player sent off which helped Woodcote’s cause as they held on to claim the three points.

In Division 4 ROTHERFIELD UNITED RESERVES ran out 3-0 winners away to basement side HURST RESERVES. United scored their goals courtesy of Michael Hunt, Craig Oatham and an own goal.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say