Monday, 17 December 2018

Supersub Payne nets brace to put side top of the table

DESPITE not being at their best, hosts WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW took all three points from their home clash with BERKS COUNTY to move to the top of the Premier Division

DESPITE not being at their best, hosts WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW took all three points from their home clash with BERKS COUNTY to move to the top of the Premier Division.

The home side had most of the ball from the start and could have been well ahead by the interval but a combination of missed chances and misplaced passes meant that only one goal was scored in the first period.

The nearest Woodcote came to scoring in the first half hour was Tommy Chapmanâ??s shot from 25 yards which the keeper did well to keep out.

The deadlock was broken after 31 minutes when Frank Dillonâ??s free-kick from 30 yards seemed to elude everyone and beat the keeper. Jake Dillon helped to deceive the keeper and he may have made very slight contact.

Jake Dillon was back in the action in the final minute of the half, passing the ball into the path of James Worsfold, but the striker failed to make contact with the goal yawning.

The second half saw a much improved Woodcote performance with some good flowing moves and a series of dangerous crosses into the box from the experienced Dave Givens.

Jake Dillon almost increased the lead on the hour mark with a volley from a Ryan Corbett cross but Berks County were rescued by the woodwork.

Corbett brought a good save out of the keeper on 75 minutes with a shot from distance.

The introduction of substitute James Payne, with 15 minutes to play, was to prove crucial. Payne, who joined from Rotherfield in the close season, had gone close to scoring on a number of occasions without managing to open his account, but he had barely set foot on the field before a clever piece of play by Jonny Summers, following a slick end-to-end move, left him with a simple tap-in to make it 2-0.

More was to follow two minutes later as Payne doubled his personal tally with a shot on target which was deflected over the keeper after a pinpoint cross from Dave Givens. In the dying minutes a Berks County player was shown a straight red card after a two-footed challenge.

In Division 2 WARGRAVE maintained their promotion push thanks to a 5-2 home win against GORING UNITED.

Goring took the lead when a Jack Purser cross was fired home to Tom Heslop. Stuart Moss then equalised for the hosts soon afterwards.

Wargrave took the lead with a goal involving six players that resulted in Callum Hunter crossing for Moss to volley home after good work from Ben Carter and Alex Garnet.

Goring equalised from a corner just before half time when Dan Houseman headed home.

Hunter made it 3-2 to Wargrave after 10 minutes of the second half before Moss completed his hat-trick following a good through ball from captain George Stagg.

Moss netted his fourth of the game to make it 5-2 following neat footwork and a good through ball from James Reilly late on.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say