Thursday, 13 December 2018

Red Kites hit back to sink lowly Burnham Reserves

HENLEY TOWN picked up all three Uhlsport Hellenic Division 1 East points as they defeated Burnham

HENLEY TOWN picked up all three Uhlsport Hellenic Division 1 East points as they defeated Burnham Reserves at their Triangle ground on Saturday.

For the second successive week Henley were forced to make late changes and central defender Andrew Nunn pulled on the goalkeeping jersey following the withdrawal of Ashley East.

Henley welcomed new signings Richard Bennett and Ricky Pellham to the squad, both making their debuts.

Burnham shocked the home side in the opening couple of minutes when a deep ball from the left found the Burnham winger Lockhard-Adams at the back post who struck a shot that forced Nunn into producing a fine save to deny him but the ball fell to the awaiting Burnham forward Pitt who scored from close range.

Henley hit back with Ben Clark and Richard Bennett both going close for the hosts.

Grant Kemp was unfortunate not to equalise just after the half-hour mark as he muscled his way through the Burnham defence which ended with a shot on goal that the visiting keeper was able to collect.

Both sides could have scored in the remainder of this half and although Henley had the majority of play Burnham always looked dangerous in extending their lead.

Three minutes before half-time Henley equalised following some good work from Sean Moore out on the left who crossed for Bennett who was able to connect well and crashed the ball into the roof of the net.

In the second half Henley looked to forge ahead and did not have to wait too long when Asa Povey picked up the ball in the box and dropped his shoulder twice before slotting home into the bottom left corner of the Burnham net after 50 minutes.

Burnham pressed hard for the next 10 minutes and carried a threat on the Henley goal, their most notable moment was when Burnham’s Pitt saw a well struck effort strike the crossbar.

On 70 minutes Henley started to make inward roads on the Burnham goal when Bennett, Sean Moore and Kemp were all fouled outside the Burnham penalty area on separate occasions that resulted in free kicks but were not converted.

With 10 minutes remaining Burnham had another dominant period of the game which tested the Henley defence. Red Kites captain Warren Baxter thwarted a couple of attacks with last-gasp tackles to deny the visitors. Henley extended their lead in the 89th minute when Bennett danced through the Burnham defence and tried to lift the ball over the Burnham keeper and in doing so the ball hit the bar and fell to Clark who headed home Burnham carried on attacking the Henley goal and were rewarded for this in the second minute of injury time as they sent in a hopeful ball from the right side of the home penalty area which went over the Henley defence heads and De Cota nodded in under the bar.

Henley Town: Nunn, Faherty, Cooper, Thomas (Cripp, 73 mins), Baxter, Kemp, Pellham, Moore (Goodwin, 85 mins), Povey, Bennett, Clark (Rann, 90 mins).

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say