Thursday, 18 October 2018

Gardner’s strike puts end to league leaders’ unbeaten record

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U18s moved into second place in the South Chiltern Minor League following a 2-1

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U18s moved into second place in the South Chiltern Minor League following a 2-1 win over league leaders WRIGHTCHOICE U18s.

Wrightchoice started the game strongly with sharp passing and movement between midfield and the forwards, which eventually resulted in them taking the lead after 10 minutes.

Following this setback Rotherfield began to get some traction into the game and their efforts were rewarded after 35 minutes when a corner by Markland Tidswell found Oly Williams in space to guide his header home.

Wrightchoice pushed to restore their lead but the Rotherfield back line of Nye Rees, Alex White, Ollie Sirrell and Scott Brown battled well to protect Danny Hodder in the Rotherfield goal.

The second half started brightly with Wrightchoice continuing to push but the Rotherfield midfield held their shape with Rowan Stacey, Louis Walsh, Markland Tidswell and Guy Brown ensuring that Wrightchoice could not break through to threaten Liam Peachey, who had taken over in goal at half time, in the Rotherfield goal.

With five minutes remaining a through ball found Patrick Gardner in space on the edge of the box and, despite a valiant effort by the Wrightchoice keeper, he was able to put the ball away to give Rotherfield all three points and end Wrightchoice’s undefeated league season.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U13s slipped to their second defeat in their first three cup games, both losses coming at the hands of Division 1 champions HIGHMOOR/IBIS U13s.

After losing the previous tie 8-0 with only 10 players, Rotherfield showed their strengths with the benefit of a full matchday squad. A new formation loosely based on 3-5-2 produced one of their best defensive performances of the season.

Highmoor began trying to attack through the middle, but switched the basis of their attacks to the wide areas after realising they were having no luck battling through the midfield presence of Moeen Ulhaq and Drew Preston.

Chances came and went with the swirling wind and bobbly pitch preventing either team gaining full control of the ball. Highmoor went in front just before half time, the bouncing ball deceiving stand-in keeper Billy Parrish and falling perfectly for the Highmoor striker to tap in.

Highmoor added a second after the break from a well struck free kick, and although Rotherfield threatened in short bursts, they were unable to reduce the deficit.

With three cup games left in the group stage and with one win already under their belts, Rotherfield’s season is still very much alive. ROTHERFIELD MUSTANGS U11s and CAVERSHAM TRENTS BLUES U11s battled out a 2-2 Berkshire Youth Development League draw on Saturday.

Rotherfield had the better of the early play and a curling corner floated across goal saw Tommy Edwards put the Mustangs ahead. Moments later Eddie Handley weaved through the Blues defence and around the keeper to make it 2-0.

Caversham pulled a goal back from the penalty spot just before half-time after the ball had hit a Mustangs’ players arm.

The Mustangs held their lead for much of the second half before the Blues eventually equalised late in the game.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED GIRLS U12s eased to a 2-0 victory against SANDHURST TOWN ROBINS U12s.

The first half was a tight contest with neither team creating any clear-cut chances. The second half was much more open with both teams creating opportunities to take the lead. Eventually the deadlock was ended when Lola Murtagh broke down the left-hand side and finished from a narrow angle.

Sandhurst had a clear chance to equalise but were thwarted by a fine save by player-of-the-match Ruby Vines.

Rotherfield put the game beyond doubt when a through ball by Caitlin Edgar was well finished by Sophie Darnell.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say