Thursday, 18 October 2018

Payne nets late leveller as visitors thwarted

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW’S hopes of getting back to winning ways in the Premier Division were thwarted

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW’S hopes of getting back to winning ways in the Premier Division were thwarted by a MORTIMER side that showed commitment to the cause for the full 90 minutes as the two sides drew 1-1.

Woodcote were totally dominant in the first half and created chance after chance. The first fell to Mike Hancock whose header was well tipped over after a cross from Frank Dillon on 15 minutes.

After 22 minutes Jake Dillon had a good chance from a flick-on from a corner, but his header from five yards was too weak and was scrambled clear.

When Woodcote did find the net after 30 minutes Andy Bullett was ruled offside after another pinpoint cross from Frank Dillon. Almost immediately Frank Dillon himself was narrowly off target with a powerful long-range shot.

On 39 minutes a poor clearance by the Mortimer keeper fell to Jake Dillon who in a one-on-one situation chipped over the keeper and over the bar. In the final minute of the half two more good chances were spurned.

Mortimer began the second half with more attacking intent but Woodcote continued to enjoy more possession. After 57 minutes Mortimer attacked on the break and won a corner which was headed home to give them a 1-0 lead.

Woodcote continued to hammer away at the Mortimer defence but a mixture of brave defending, good goalkeeping and poor finishing kept the home side ahea.

At the other end it was fortunate on three occasions that Kane Roberts in the Woodcote goal was in tip-top form as he thwarted home attackers in one-on-one situations.

As the game entered the final minute of normal time Woodcote equalised. They might have found themselves 2-0 down as Roberts saved what might have been an own goal from Jim Hancock. The keeper then turned defence into attack finding Frank Dillon whose low cross was met by substitute James Payne who hammered home from close range.

The drama did not end there as less than a minute later Payne hammered home again in an identical situation only for James Worsfold to be ruled offside in the build-up.

Mortimer might have won it in the last seconds but for the outstanding Roberts who flung himself at the feet of a striker to collect the ball cleanly.

In Division 1, relegation-threatened SONNING crashed to a 3-1 defeat away to HIGHMOOR/IBIS A. Anwar Whight was on target for the visitors.

In Division 2 GORING UNITED suffered a 3-0 home defeat against bottom-of-the-table TAPLOW UNITED RESERVES.

WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES kept their title hope alive with a 2-1 win over WOODLEY TOWN A. Two Paul Knox goals gave the home side a 2-0 lead before Woodley pulled a goal back five minutes from time.

WARGRAVE RESERVES ran out comfortable 5-0 winners away to HIGHMOOR/IBIS B in Division 4 while SONNING A lost out 6-4 at home to SHINFIELD. Matthew Anderson scored a hat-trick for the hosts whilst Kevin Blake was also on target.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say