Friday, 19 October 2018

Late strike gives visitors the points in seven-goal thriller

A GOAL a minute from time earned visitors Finchampstead all three Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1

A GOAL a minute from time earned visitors Finchampstead all three Uhlsport Hellenic League Division 1 East points at the Triangle Ground last Saturday.

Henley took the lead on 19 minutes as Sam Cripps picked the ball up in the right back position, his pass finding Grant Kemp on the right wing. Kemp laid a ball inside to Ben Clark who switched play to the left and found Sean Moore who cut inside and beat his marker before rifling a shot past the keeper.

The Red Kites were forced to make an early substitution as Clark collided with a Finchampstead defender, picking up a knee injury, and was replaced by Ricky Pellham.

Henley were awarded a free kick on the left after 35 minutes. Sean Moore hit a long ball into the area which wasn’t cleared by the visiting defence and the ball dropped on the edge of the box to Asa Povey whose shot through a crowded area ricocheted off a defender for a corner.

The resulting corner found the unmarked Mitch Cooper who headed over the bar from close range.

Henley were punished for the earlier miss as the visitors were awarded a free kick just outside the home penalty area five minutes before the interval.

The free kick was struck well but was turned around the post for a corner by Henley keeper Ashley East. The resulting corner found the head of one of the Finch players who flicked it to the back post and Swabey neatly tucked away with his head for the equaliser.

Henley went close to regaining the lead just before the break when Grant Kemp sent in a pinpoint cross from the right wing to Richard Bennett who hit the ball over the bar from a scoring position.

On the hour mark the Henley keeper threw a ball out to Moore in his own half. Moore clipped a nice ball over the Finchampstead defence to Richard Bennett who broke away and lobbed the onrushing keeper to put the hosts back into the lead.

The visitors hit back quickly and equalised on 65 minutes when the Henley goalkeeper misjudged a pass back and Finchampstead’s Tye player nipped in to score.

The visitors went ahead with 10 minutes remaining when Swabey scored his second from a cross on the right wing.

Henley equalised a minute later when Mitchell Cooper drove into the Finchampstead half and found Louis Howell who laid it off to Povey who shot low from the edge of the box into the bottom corner.

With just a minute of the match remaining Finchampstead broke away again with the ball breaking to Tye who had time to compose himself before finishing well to earn the visitors all the three points.

Henley Town: East, Nunn, Cripps (Howell, 73 mins), Baxter, Cooper, Kemp, Moore, Povey, Witt, Bennett, Clark (Pellham, 40 mins).

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say