Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Hanshaw’s heroics help United sink high-flying opponents

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U13s’ Berkshire Youth Development League cup run came to an end at the

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U13s’ Berkshire Youth Development League cup run came to an end at the semi-final stage when they went down 4-1 against high-flying ELDON CELTIC 1967 U13s.

Having not had a game for three weeks, Rotherfield shook off some early signs of rustiness to match Eldon throughout the first half, a scrappy game not helped by the hard pitch.

After a goalless first half the second period began in much the same way as both teams battled it out in the middle of the park.

Eventually Eldon broke the deadlock. A quick move down the left saw the ball pulled back to the centre of the area where it was fired home.

Eldon doubled their advantage when their striker ran through the middle, overran the ball and Rotherfield defender Ryhan Carey went to clear it away where it appeared to strike the Eldon player on the hand and rolled into his path, enabling him to run on to the ball and finish past keeper Thomas Capaldi.

Rotherfield were then undone by another quick move and good finish from the Eldon left winger.

United continued to show the battling characteristics that had served them so well over the season and grabbed a goal back. Drew Preston was fouled outside the area, the referee played the advantage which allowed Joseph Richardson to fire home into the bottom corner.

Richardson had a shot cleared off the line before a Bradley Withers header came back off the crossbar for United.

With minutes left and Rotherfield still committing players forward, Eldon scored on the counterattack.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED U12s pulled off their best result of the season as they defeated high-flying KENNINGTON ATHLETIC U12s 2-1 in Division 1 of the Oxford Mail Youth League on Sunday.

After 12 minutes a Rotherfield attack led to striker Justus Larter’s shot being deflected and the ball went to Aaron Bishop who fired past the Athleitc keeper.

Three minutes later United made it 2-0. Rowan Prince put the ball out wide to right winger Charlie Wagstaff who beat the midfielder on the run, took on two Kennington defenders to cross the ball to Larter who scored his second of the match.

In the second half Kennington came back with a vengeance, with the majority of play in the Rotherfield half. However, United’s man-of-the-match Max Hanshaw pulled off several good saves to thwart Athletic’s attacks. Hanshaw was eventually beaten as Athleitc pulled a goal back but United held on to secure all three points.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED COLTS U11s finished off their East Berkshire Alliance season in style with a brace of wins.

HAWLEY FALCONS U11s were first up with the Colts running out 6-2 winners.

The Colts dominated the match from the start, peppering the Falcons goal with countless attacks. Jamie Sarson netted his second hat-trick of the year to take his tally to 15 for the season while Nicola Lee scored twice. The final match saw the Colts defeat local rivals AFC HENLEY HOTSPURS U11s 4-1.

The Colts showed plenty of pace and strength down the wings as the forward pairing of Jamie Sarson and George Piggott both scored in the first quarter, Piggott with a well taken header.

Henley steadied the ship at this point, stringing together some good passing moves leading into half-time, as only a finger-tip save over the crossbar from Tom Branch protected the Colts’ two goal lead.

Hotspurs started the second half the better and reduced the deficit to a single goal. Despite three point-blank range saves from Branch, Hotspurs scrambled the ball over the line at the fourth attempt.

Colts came out firing in the final quarter of the game, pushing captain Jack Lambert up front as both Piggott and Cameron Smith scored to put Colts out of sight and complete a 4-1 victory.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say