Monday, 15 October 2018

Dillon’s double helps club secure their first league silverware for eight years

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW suffered their heaviest defeat of the season in their final game of

VISITING side WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW suffered their heaviest defeat of the season in their final game of the campaign as they went down 9-1 away to Premier Division title chasers MARLOW UNITED.

Trailing 2-0 at the interval Woodcote/Stoke Row conceded a further seven goals in the second half. Toby Nowell netted the visitors’ only goal of the game after 68 minutes.

Elsewhere in the division ROTHEFIELD UNITED remain deep in relegation trouble with just one match remaining after they crashed to a 2-1 defeat at home to TAPLOW UNITED.

In Division 3 WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW RESERVES wrapped up the league title thanks to a 4-0 home victory against BAUGHURST.

The home side made an early breakthrough when Mike Higley rose to head home Paul Knox’s corner after five minutes.

Woodcote continued to press and James Worsfold’s snap-shot was saved at the second attempt by the keeper. Frank Dillon could have increased the lead after 25 minutes when he was put in the clear by a long-range pass from Paul Knox but the chance went begging and 10 minutes from the end of the half, Mark Pearson in the home goal had to make a smart save to maintain Woodcote’s lead. At the other end, the impressive Baughurst keeper made a fine save as Knox’s free kick arrowed towards the top corner after 40 minutes. The keeper was called upon twice more before the break and on both occasions made good saves.

In the first minute of the second half Woodcote thought they had scored as Worsfold was put through and found the net. The goal was disallowed for offside.

Baughurst’s respite was short-lived as on 55 minutes Dillon latched on to a great cross from Carl Smith, cut inside and scored with a right foot shot which curled into the far corner for 2-0.

After 70 minutes it was 3-0. Smith was the provider with an inch perfect cross which Dillon controlled with his left foot and steered home with his right. Three minutes later, it was 4-0. Knox had challenged the keeper on a Smith cross, the ball ran loose and Worsfold had the simple task of finding the empty net. Baughurst protested and one of their players was shown a red card.

In the dying minutes it might have been five but for another fine save by the Baughurst keeper from substitute James Wheeler. The title is the club’s first league trophy since 2007.

In Division 4 WARGRAVE RESERVES ended their campaign with a 5-0 win away to AFC CORINTHIANS RESERVES. Stuart Moss netted a hat-trick while Callum Hunter and Dan Tegg also got their names on the score sheet for the visitors.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say