Saturday, 20 October 2018

Kites miss out on Madejski Stadium final appearance

HENLEY TOWN missed out on a Reading Senior Cup final appearance at Madejski Stadium on Thursday

HENLEY TOWN missed out on a Reading Senior Cup final appearance at Madejski Stadium on Thursday of last week as they went down 4-0 at home to Uhlsport Hellenic Premier Division side Binfield.

The Moles started brightly and won several early corners which proved a test for the Red Kites’ defence due to the aerial prowess of the Binfield captain and ex-Crystal Palace player Woozley who was sent forward on every opportunity.

Binfield scored their first direct from a corner after 15 minutes. Luis hit a corner from the right which went over the top of the main assault on goal and ex-Henley player Johnson volleyed home.

Henley battled hard following the goal and were unfortunate not to equalise on 21 minutes when Ashley East kicked a long ball from out of his hands which embarrassed the Binfield keeper Lusty as he tangled with his own defender, the misunderstanding enabled Ben Clark a golden opportunity to level the scores but his shot was blasted past the post.

Binfield always looked dangerous on the attack especially with the movement shown by their young forward Rowland.

Henley’s Sean Moore and Grant Kemp both saw their efforts in the remainder of the first half flash across the goal.

Binfield stepped up the gas in the second half and 10 minutes in Pearson pulled the ball back from the touchline to Rowland on the edge of the six yard box who found the bottom corner to give the Moles a two-goal lead.

The second goal allowed the visitors to settle more as the wind was taken from Red Kites’ wings.

Binfield were awarded two penalties in a four minute period following fouls in the box.

Ashley East produced a good save for the first in the 64th minute when he pushed a well struck effort destined for the top corner high and wide. The second penalty was taken by Bowerman who won the foul before executing a well taken penalty to make it 3-0.

Johnson scored the visitors’ fourth and final goal following a free kick from Pearson that found Connor whose header was parried away by East.

East was forced from the field of play directly after the goal as he dislocated a finger which prevented him from playing any further part, Andrew Nunn replaced him in goal for the remainder of the game.

Henley Town: East (Godwin, 73 mins), Sims, Mew, Nunn, Baxter, Povey, Witt, Kemp (Cripps, 70 mins), Moore, Clark (Faherty, 56 mins), Bennett.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say