Monday, 15 October 2018

Taylor earns Woodcote/Stoke Row share of the spoils in season opener

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW raced into a two-goal lead against newcomers WOODLEY UNITED in their opening Premier

VISITORS WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW raced into a two-goal lead against newcomers WOODLEY UNITED in their opening Premier Division match on Saturday.

Jake Dillon headed home from brother Frank’s corner after 20 minutes before Jonny Summers added to the lead.

By half-time Woodley were on level terms and early in the second period made it 3-2.

The hosts might have added to their lead but for several fine saves by Kane Roberts in the Woodcote/Stoke Row goal.

The visitors levelled after 83 minutes when Andy Taylor converted a cross from Chris Pilling. Woodcote/Stoke Row went close to winning the game when Toby Nowell went close in the final stages.

ROTHERFIELD UNITED went down to an opening-day 3-2 defeat away at NEWBURY in a match that saw the visitors give debuts to three players and having just one substitute available.

United took the lead when debutant Stuart Brown whipped in a ball to the back post that was headed home by Ed Fagan.

The visitors had further chances to extend the lead with Ricky Sidhu, hampered by injury, twice finding the keeper’s hands when it looked easier to score while Tom Candish waltzed his way past numerous defenders before picking his spot in the top right corner only for the keeper to make a fine save.

Rotherfield rode their luck at times with keeper Grant Wildish making a good save as the onrushing Newbury striker looked to lob him and the hosts going close on a number of occasions towards the end of the half. Newbury equalised just before half-time when their centre back rose the highest to head in at the back post following a corner.

In the second half Newbury had the best of the chances as United started to tire. Newbury took the lead with a well struck shot from midfield that left Wildish wrong footed.

The visitors soaked up the pressure as Wildish made a string of fine saves to keep his side in the game as they only looked to threaten on the counter with Stuart Brown looking dangerous.

Rotherfield’s equaliser came from another run from Brown who cut inside the defender and was hauled down with a penalty awarded. Sidhu tucked away the spot kick with 20 minutes to go.

A tiring Rotherfield side eventually succumbed to Newbury pressure as a midfielder found himself with time and space in the box to score his second of the game following a series of blocked efforts in a goalmouth scramble.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say